_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Mini Hobby Models Bismarck
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hello All,
I got this kit from Hobby Lobby for only 20 bucks with a half off coupon, figured i couldn't go wrong...Has anybody built this kit, or heard anything about the company? Any pitfalls to this kit that I should be aware of? Also...do you think the photo-etch set for the Tamyia kit will also work with this one? Thanks in advance,

Sean
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:20 AM UTC
Not 100% positive, but I think that the mini-hobby kit is a duplicate of the Tamiya kit, just with cheaper plastic.

Todd
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:05 PM UTC
Foxroe is pretty much correct on this. We compared the Minihobby and Tamiya kits side by side. They look like they came from the same mold. The minihobby kit has lighter detail, and the plastic is thicker in places, but over all, it looks like a good kit. Now I have not built this kit, or seen it built. So My comparison is a out of the box look. There is a lot of mold trading that goes on between manufactures. I built the Minihobbys 1/350 Arizona and it is a wonderful kit!

HTH,
Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Foxroe is pretty much correct on this. We compared the Minihobby and Tamiya kits side by side. They look like they came from the same mold. The minihobby kit has lighter detail, and the plastic is thicker in places, but over all, it looks like a good kit. Now I have not built this kit, or seen it built. So My comparison is a out of the box look. There is a lot of mold trading that goes on between manufactures. I built the Minihobbys 1/350 Arizona and it is a wonderful kit!

Dang it. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at that kit durring a Hobby Lobby half off sale and passed it by thinking it was some cheap knock off. I might just pick it up next time. Isn't the Arizona also the Banner one? I've built that one, not well but I built it, and like it.

Edit, DOH, three times today I've closed quotes with URL instead of quote. I'm getting senile.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC

Oooooweeeeeeoooo (my best 'Twilight Zone' sound). This is getting 'weird'! First, I find out one of my original answers to HalfYank's quiz is correct. Then, I come across this thread! I was going to ask the very same question just a few days ago! I also saw the Mini Hobby Models Bismark, as well as the 'Arizona' garrybeebe just mentioned and was wanting to ask whether it was any good!
Thx SonOfAVet for beating me to it. You asked the question better than I would have.
And, geee, on top of that, the answer's are good too!
Gotta love it!

Tread.

This is making me think just TOO much about ships!!! #:-)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dang it. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at that kit durring a Hobby Lobby half off sale and passed it by thinking it was some cheap knock off. I might just pick it up next time. Isn't the Arizona also the Banner one? I've built that one, not well but I built it, and like it.

Edit, DOH, three times today I've closed quotes with URL instead of quote. I'm getting senile.

Yep Rodger the Mini Hobby and the Banner USS Arizona are the same kit!
And Trumpeter is the owner.

Regards,
Garry

SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
That is a strange happening TreadHead!!! I have ships on the brain too...anybody use photo -etch on any past Bismarck modles? I know for sure I'll use the chain railings, but the other fancy photo-etch set will cost me more than the model! Just curious if you guys think its worth it

Sean
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:17 PM UTC

...anybody know where SonOfAVet can pick up some 1/350th scale chain link?

Tread. #:-)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:37 PM UTC
I used PE sets on my Arizona Tirpitz and King George V. It depends on the kit if you need to buy a set or just rails and ladders. I could have got by gust fine with the Tirpitz or the Bismarck with just Rails and ladders. The other kit parts were nicely detailed and did not need replasement. On the other hand , My Tamiya 1/350 KGV did need the set the kits cranes were realy toylike, now they look great replased with the pe cranes. But I would say if you are not a perfectioist, on most kits you can get by with just the rails and ladders. GM models and WEMS has the best pe, and cost the most! Toms modelworks PE are good, and for Railing and ladders only they are great!
Oh and one more thing, I have never seen chain link railing on the market. I do use scale Anchor chain on all my ships though. I sand off the molded on anchor chain.

HTH,
Garry
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 05:03 PM UTC
Let me clarify--- the photo-etch set I have my eye on is called "kriegsmarine railings" they are not actually chain link, they droop a lil to look like the material. my post was a lil goofy 1/350 chain link #:-) #:-) #:-)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me clarify--- the photo-etch set I have my eye on is called "kriegsmarine railings" they are not actually chain link, they droop a lil to look like the material. my post was a lil goofy 1/350 chain link #:-) #:-) #:-)

Ok now I understand ! Yes I have seen these. And I think them are the ones you want, as in my post above , the Bismarcks cranes are well made on the kit. So the DKM railing is all the pe you should need to build a great model !

Regards,
Garry
P.S. who makes the railing you have your eyes on ?
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 05:37 PM UTC
The set I was looking at is at www.eduard.com. But I don't know how many i need..will one set be enough for all the railings on the ship? ACtually after looking at it again, they don't sag, I must be thinking of the rails on the Arizonia or something
 _GOTOTOP