_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
4 Carrier dio/display
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 08:24 PM UTC
Stug and I have been busy grinding our teeth late into the night working on a 4 carrier dio/display for a retirement gift for one of the guys he works with.. Let me tell you as a non traditional modeler I was thoroughly stressed by the miniscule details on these ships. Granted , I only did folding of the wings on some of the jets on deck, and some minor painting, but sheesh... I don't know how you guys that do those ships in such great detail manage to do so without going blind. I also did the easiest part for the display... THE FRAME AND WATER.lol I'll stick to that... I doubt Stug will post any photos as he's not very pleased with the thing, but I'm pleased with him and myself for our tenacity in completing the friggin; thing.
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:26 AM UTC
Detailing can be pretty frustrating. I think that it's more important that the model be pleasing to the eye of the builder... after all, it's supposed to be fun! So I say go ahead and post some pictures! I think that the people that look at the pictures will be more appreciative of the subject and the effort and far less critical of the appearance or the builder's skill.

Todd
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Model Shipwrights: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:46 AM UTC
I've done a few 1/72 (usually do 1/35) and have to agree with SOW1 - it drives you blind going small scale.

I encourage Stug to post images. I bet it's worth of an On DIsplay too.
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 07:47 AM UTC
Seeing as He (we) did not do it for pleasure, but for a request. I serioulsy doubt that he'll post pics.lol And try this scale on for size.. 1/800th Of the USS Independence, USS Midway, USS Kitty Hawk, and USS Nimitz. I know I'm glad it's FINALLY finished, No more late nights (due to a nit picky retiree's request, anyways.) I think I'll head on to bed now, seeing as how it's 0445 Friday here.... G'night/ G'mornin Depends on your point of view.lol
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I serioulsy doubt that he'll post pics.

Please post some, if necessary can you use your authority to order him to post some? I recently did a carrier with etched aircraft parts and nearly went doolally, I'd love to see your results.
 _GOTOTOP