_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Mighty MO's deck color at Japanies surender?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:25 AM UTC
My turn to ask a question. A friend and I are planning to build the Tamiya 1/350 USS Missouri as she was at the time of the Japanese surender cerimonies on her decks. The Commander of the MO said he ordered the decks hollistoned down to the wood for the Cerimonies. So that would mean that the decks were natural teak color. But, here is the sticker! I have a color photo of the Cerimonies along side of B turret on the starboard side. And it shows that part of the deck in bright dark blue !
This is where I start scratching my head! My thoughts are that this area was covered with blue carpet, But I just dont know!
Please anyone have answers for this dilema ?

TIA,
Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 03:40 AM UTC
Garry, I've read that British ships had a non-skid surface on some decks. This was a kind of blue gray color. Couldn't this be something similar?

Side note, my Dad and I were on vacation when I was about 14 up in Washington State. We were in Bremerton where the Big Mo and one other Iowa class were in mothballs. At that time they were allowing visitors to go on board to the deck where the surrender was signed. Two things I remember about that visit. One was walking up to a main gun turret and raping it with my school ring. It didn't have a metallic sound at all. It reminded me of hitting a concrete wall, the steel was so thick. The other thing I remember is reading the plaque on the surrender deck where it mentioned the date, September 2. The thing was the day I was there WAS Sept 2. Pure blind luck.
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 05:45 AM UTC
If you look up the color photos on www.navsource.org of the Mo, most of the shots of the deck seem to be Deck Blue but in others they appear to be grayish. Weathered teak tends to be a brownish gray in color and the decks may have been wet that day, which could explain the dark gray color. They were not painted/covered with non-skid.

If the decks were hollystoned, I doubt that any Deck Blue stain that seaped into the deck seams and the loose wood grain would have come out. So, it may be that we are seeing bare teak but with some residual stain. Not sure.

There's a book on the Missouri by Stillwell that may have specifics in it. I haven't read it, but I have read the Arizona book by the same author and it was remarkably detailed and full of accounts from actual crew members. Hope this helps!

Todd
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
Gary:
From all the sources I can gather. The Missouri was in constant action righ tup to the day of the cerimony. Thus they wouldn't have the time to stip the decks. Every model I have ever seen of the surrender the decks were a faded deck gray color.
On modelwarships.com Noel Caprio did such a model with figures and all of the cerimony and the decks were done in faded gray.
I also found a copy of Mo's plan of the day on the cerimony and all it says is to scrub the area with Fresh water. Below is a link to the copy. Hope this helps and gets you closer to the answer your looking for.

[url]http://www.spclevents.com/ships/missouri/bb63_pod.html[url]

Paul
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 07:28 AM UTC
ok i'll try this instead and we'll see if this works..

If this doesn't work I just go skulk back in my corner..

Paul
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:42 AM UTC
Thanks a bunch Paul, that was a very interesting read. Very enjoyable!
I just love this stuff! Well it seems like the decks were indeed bare wood.
But I still have to figure out the Surendering deck area, I know it was blue, but blue carpet or
blue die ? My ears are still here guys!

Cheers,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:55 AM UTC

Wow....that was an interesting read. Thx warlock! Although it just fuels me with more questions for the 'dummies' thread.
Also hope that it helps Garry out.

Tread.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:42 PM UTC
The decks were weatherdeck blue for the ceremonies. I suggest modelmaster non specular dark sea blue with 10% white added.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 12:58 PM UTC
Thanks for posting these ! These are the same pic's that I have, I tried to post them but could not. Now take a close look at the texture of the deck, it looks like carpet texture. Youcan see the plank outline here and there, and it looks like it has been ruffled by walking on it. Also in pic #1, to the right of the Japanese there looks like a seam there.
Maybe I'm having teenage flash backs, but that looks like carpet to me !
Thanks again for posting these, and you made a good call on the paint colors!

Regards,
Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:02 PM UTC

Does anybody know why the surrender ceremonies with Japan were so much more elaborate than those with Germany or Italy? Was it because they had more time to prepare, the time between when the Japanese said they would surrender and Sept 2? Or perhaps because Big Mac was involved and liked the show?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anybody know why the surrender ceremonies with Japan were so much more elaborate than those with Germany or Italy? Was it because they had more time to prepare, the time between when the Japanese said they would surrender and Sept 2? Or perhaps because Big Mac was involved and liked the show?

I'm not sure Rodger, but my thoughts are that Japan had brought that war to America.
Plus all of the resources were there for a cerimonie like that. But who knows, there are so many variables . But I am glad it happened the way it did.

Garry
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC
It's definately not carpeted! Check your screen settings. You can almost see every plank. What you think is a seam is simply where the wood stops and the steel starts

Quoted Text

Thanks for posting these ! These are the same pic's that I have, I tried to post them but could not. Now take a close look at the texture of the deck, it looks like carpet texture. Youcan see the plank outline here and there, and it looks like it has been ruffled by walking on it. Also in pic #1, to the right of the Japanese there looks like a seam there.
Maybe I'm having teenage flash backs, but that looks like carpet to me !
Thanks again for posting these, and you made a good call on the paint colors!

Regards,
Garry

Shipfriend
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is where I start scratching my head! My thoughts are that this area was covered with blue carpet, But I just dont know!
Please anyone have answers for this dilema ?

Hi Garry,

I am 60% done with my 1:350 Missouri and had did a fair bit of research before starting the subject. Had the same dilema as u but was convinced after going thru numerals reference and comparing ome photographs on the net (dun have the reference with me currently).

The decks were in a blue tone instead of the brown teaks.

I had not painted my deck yet (most likely this weekend), and will be finishing it with blue.

SK
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 - 01:36 AM UTC
Ok guys, you have convinced me ! MO's decks were blue.Thank you all for your input, specialy SK, and modelguy2. This prodject is aways off , but its never to early to start gathering references!

Regards,
Garry
ARMDCAV
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
The decks and all horizontal surfaces were in measure 22 I believe, A dark blue. The vertical surfaces were haze grey. They remained so through the surrender ceremonies. The wooden decks were stripped back to natural during the trip home to the states when she left Japan.
 _GOTOTOP