General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Heller La Reale De France
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 11:57 PM UTC
Absolutely outstanding Ken,

Great to see both masts up, and the rigging looks superb

Cheers

Si
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 11:58 PM UTC
Looking incredible on every position in the house !
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 427 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 11:16 PM UTC
thought I would have a break from the rigging so decided to do the steps, they are supposed to have hand rails but they were so fine one was snapped on the sprue and one broke cutting it off the sprue so will have to make a couple out of copper wire

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 07:35 AM UTC
Impressive painting Ken! You are certainly doing a fantastic job on this!!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hi Ken,

The stern is looking impressive. Often scratchbuilt replacements for fine parts line handrails in that scale look better anyway.

Cheers,

Si
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:15 AM UTC
well this is on the back burner again

as you can see from the parts list sprue 17 and 18 say 2 sprues sprue 9 and 9a are listed together with a sprue count of 2 I stupidly didnt count the number of oars on the sprues (there are 16 oars on each sprue) so the 2 on the parts list means 2 of each 9a and 9 (why didnt they list those to sprues separately or say 4 on the parts count, so now I have to go through the rigmarole of contacting heller again and waiting for the parts, this really is putting me off ever buying a heller kit again, I mean are all there kits like this, I dont think much of the're quality control if they dont even bother doing a sprue check on the contents of a kit.
mr_peabody
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 06:57 PM UTC
I checked over my big Heller kits when they arrived (several years ago) and they weren't missing any sprues.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 - 07:18 PM UTC
Hi all was looking at this today and noticed the mast was bent.

so I thought how can I fix that and a cunning plan developed.
first break the top of the mast off then drill out a hole in the top of the mast and insert brass rod then reglue the top on

since this pic I decided I dont like the fore mast sail so have removed it was thinking of removing the main sail as well but my missus says no, what do you think would they have had one sail down and not the other or would they both be up or down.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 10:52 AM UTC
Well I'm not sure what's going to happen with the La Reale I've contacted heller several times but no reply, the 32 oars I do have couldn't go all on one side said some are different so I can't put them all on one side and display it that way. Not sure I can be bothered with displaying it in dry dock being refitted (lot of work involved and I will always know she's not complete) too big to keep hanging round, maybe time to bite the bullet and stick her in the spares drawer. All I know is she's taking up valuable room, not sure the missus will let me scrap her but, I am rapidly losing interest in her.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 02:37 PM UTC
Hi all I've just emailed heller explaining to the person who dealt with the parts problem last time that I am a member of several forums that this build is posted on, and that it doesn't look good on Heller's part when I can't say when the build will restart.
But I've had a great idea, I love the sleek lines of the hull, what if I put some rockets on the side and turned her into a space galleon.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 08:05 PM UTC
Well I do hope the parts come through for you....but in all actuality, some sort of steampunk flying machine would make for an incredible show with it! LOL!! Best of luck either way Ken!
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 09:44 PM UTC
Well I decided to have a go at making the missing parts and after 2 hrs and on my third attempt, this is what I have

I'm quite pleased with it, its a bit crude but when its installed I dont think it will notice too much.
I know one thing I will never buy another heller kit. its not the kits (the kwak apart) they are great kits I've loved the La Reale, its their complete ignorance I've sent 2 emails just asking would they let me know even if they are going to send the parts, not one single reply to 8 emails, now I call that down right rude. I intend to send one more email informing them that they are not the only kit manufacturer out there and if they treat all their customers the way they have treated me I wont be the only customer they loose.(since they obviously ignore emails it probably wont do any good but it will make me feel better) You don't buy model kit and expect to have to make the parts yourself. Rant over so only 15 more of these babys to make
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:07 PM UTC
Nice work on the scratch Ken! Way to keep that ball rolling! All the best in making the rest of the batch! I would be wondering if there was someone on that side of the pond that could help you out burning a few resin copies quick and dirty-like! Wouldn't be too difficult to make the mold of maybe five or so and bang out a couple sets...just a thought! Keep up the excellent work!!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC
Great Job Ken,

Those replacement oars will do the job just fine.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Si
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 11:45 PM UTC
hi all well I'm as happy as a frog on a lilly pad the parts have arrived an idea can finally finish this build, thanks for sticking with it and giving me the enthusiasm to keep going. Hope you will all stay to the bitter end.
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 07:03 PM UTC
Hi all a small update, everyone was telling me the sails should not be billowing in different directions, contrary to the instructions and the fact that the sails are vac formed and can only but put on that way, I decided to make sure its right I would do the fore mast sail furled.

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hi all a little update on the Reale, I thought I would try to improve the way the rowers handles are depicted.

so, only 29 more to go
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 10:39 PM UTC
Great job Ken! Good to see that all the missing sprues are coming together - not all at the same time, but eventually so.

Very nice improvement to the handles there, I hope you keep up your spirit - as you said, only 29 to go...

Cheers ,

Jan
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hi all well here is an update on this build someone told me the clew? was missing, well apparently this is it (the loose flap of sail from the furled sail)in the first picture.

I've added all the cannons now as well.

Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:45 PM UTC
Nothing short of marvelous work, Ken.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 11:54 PM UTC
Great job Ken,

She is looking really impressive.

Cheers.

Si
kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hi all didn't like the oar handle, too irregular, so browsing the net I found these, they are OO gauge steps (1/87) so near enough.

But as you can see they are too wide

so with my guage

I whittled them down a bit

cut to length

split

and with a little bit of fettling they will all look the same now

kpnuts
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hi all, well I think I'm on the last leg of this build, this is half way there with the oars

just these left to do

every single oar has this huge seam on it, so, only32 to sort

I really feel this is nearing the end now, once I add the oars it will be huge, no idea what I will do with it when done, I had my warspite dio in the local library, but now thats back due to the library re-utilising the areas and no longer having room for it (a polite way of saying no one was interested in it) so now I've got that back too. argh I have no room.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 12:52 AM UTC
Great job on the oars Ken,

Looking forward to seeing it in place.

Cheers.

Si
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 09:10 PM UTC
I can just second Si, really nice work - don't lose your spirit on the remaining 'few' oars, Ken!!

Cheers,
Jan