_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
1/35th X-Craft by Merit
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 09:46 PM UTC
Have had mine on pre-order from Freetime Hobbies, was just told that it ships today. Yippee! I'll post some pictures when it arrives. Been looking forward to this one ever since Italeri dropped the ball. Al
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 11:37 PM UTC
That is some good news Al!! Looking forward to see some pics one it arrives!!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hello Todd, good news indeed. I'm hoping Merit jumps on the 1/35th bandwagon with both feet. They've announced a WW2 Soviet G-5 MTB in this scale. I'd really like to see them follow it up with a 78' Higgins PT, and/or a 77' Elco, preferably both. Al
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 03:24 AM UTC
This is interesting news. I recently watched "Above us the waves" on Youtube and I'm very interested is seeing this kit. 1/35 is a bit big for ships for me but I might make an exception for a small craft like this.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:49 AM UTC
(IIRC) It will measure about 18" long in 1/35th. Al
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:17 PM UTC
Sounds great Al,

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Si
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hello Simon, The kit is on its way, will post some pics as soon as it arrives. Really looking forward to opening the box myself. This is the first "pig in a poke" that I've bought in a very long time. I usually see what the kit is like beforehand, either online or at the LHS. Merit has been getting pretty decent reviews for their products, so I don't think I'll be too disappointed. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:57 AM UTC
Christmas came early! Kit arrived today, first impressions very good. Pictures to follow ASAP. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:21 PM UTC
Here are the sprue shots, as promised. There are five sprues altogether, though two are duplicates. A small PE fret and a decal sheet are als included.

The "A" sprue consists of the two halves of the hull. They measure 17" overall. Once the rudders and planes are attached the finished model will be about 18".

They're fairly solid, no chance of warping. The upper deck is molded to the right hull half. Detail looks good.

Sprue "B" contains of the 'side-cargoes', prop, dive planes and rudders.

Sprue "C" has many of the detail parts and a nameplate.

Sprue "D" (X2) has the two part display pedestals and lots more detail pieces.

Here is the PE Fret.

And the decals.

The White Ensigns are rather large. I do remember that there were two of these subs mentioned in the book "The Longest Day". They were to surface at dawn and mark both ends of the British beaches on D-Day. The commander of one of them flew two large Ensigns to avoid any possible 'Friendly Fire' incidents. I'm in the middle of a build-log over on Armorama. When I finish with that I'll be diving into (pardon the pun) this one. I'm really looking forward to it. al
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:31 PM UTC
Thanks for posting Al,

It odes look very nice, now I really want one!

Si
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 01:27 AM UTC
You're welcome, Simon. I don't think that you'll be too disappointed. The rudders and dive planes are positionable, and with some very careful gluing could be made moveable. There are a couple of other options (periscope up/down e.g.) mentioned in the instructions. And though it isn't stated, I think the pipe that sticks out from the left side of the hull (snorkel?) is supposed to be moveable up and down also. Al
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 01:35 AM UTC
Nice little inbox display Al1! Looking like this will build up quite nicely!!
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 01:57 AM UTC
The kit pics look really top-notch. Now I have no more excuses on putting off my 1/35 Tirpitz!

--Karl
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 03:26 AM UTC
And though it isn't stated, I think the pipe that sticks out from the left side of the hull (snorkel?) is supposed to be moveable up and down also. Al [Quoted]

Found out that it is the air induction mast.

Gotta admit, I don't know too much about these subs. Got some research to do. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 03:39 AM UTC
I noticed a couple of omissions in the instructions. Merit provides the ends and the shackles for the tow cable at the bow but don't mention (or provide) the actual cable.

Also, they give you the ends for the two inverted 'V' shaped cable assemblies on top of the side-cargo charges. But again don't mention (or provide) the actual cables. A minor point, and easily remedied. Al
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 06:40 AM UTC
Looks really nice Al. Thanks so much for posting this.

Rodger
VANDY1VX4
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 83 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 02:28 AM UTC

Here is my build and findings on the Merritt X craft.
Not sure if mentioned in my build. But the trailing edges of the fins need to be reworked. They are to thick!!!
http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=56020

Night periscope needs a lens and flange, Need a new attack Periscope. between the two periscope's is a view port up. It's in the kit, But needs to be painted as a lens / window. NEW PROP badly needed.

Cheers

surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 04:44 PM UTC
This will be worth a Watch. Will enjoy the Build.....Cheers mark
VANDY1VX4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 12:32 AM UTC
Thanks Mark

I am calling this one done for now. As I need to make a British navel flag and replace the prop only. Need to wait for the second kit to arrive to copy the Decals to paper for the flag. Not sure what to do for the Prop yet. Most likely use a G factor prop.

Cheers
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thanks for posting those pictures Al.

Are we actually reading what we are writing in our criticisms of kit manufacturers nowadays? This is not a direct attack on just you Danny but I can't believe the nit-picking stuff written nowadays.

How good are your scratch-building skills? How much longer would it have taken you to build an X-craft if Merit had never released it? I know I wouldn't have even tried but now it has been released I can't wait to add it to my growing fleet of 1/35 watercraft, everything from an NKL-27 attack speed boat up to an Elco PT Boat.

I really do think we are living in a golden age and should be thankful to all the manufactuers out there ready to take a risk with subjects. The likes of Airfix and Monogram didn't and look what happened to them..

Again, I love reading reviews on all these new subjects, but please give them a chance before laying into them with your boots..

Cheers everyone
Warren
VANDY1VX4
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for posting those pictures Al.

Are we actually reading what we are writing in our criticisms of kit manufacturers nowadays? This is not a direct attack on just you Danny but I can't believe the nit-picking stuff written nowadays.

How good are your scratch-building skills? How much longer would it have taken you to build an X-craft if Merit had never released it?
Cheers everyone
Warren

First of all Warren, Are you reading the first sentence you wrote. All you did is replace Manufacturer with Modeler. This is directed at me to. As you ask how are my scratch building skills!!! I did scratch build all the items that were wrong. As you can see in the photos. Also there are three resin kits and one IM kit now. Why would I scratch build it? Especially as I scratch build all my patients teeth all day long. What is sad is you have seen my work but by patient privacy / Confidentiality I can't mention who they are.

How do these scratch built items of mine. Do they meet your approval or they not a subject mater of your taste.
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s558/Vandy1vx4/100_4350_zps13780339.jpg
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s558/Vandy1vx4/100_4323_zps04b1188e.jpg
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s558/Vandy1vx4/100_4342_zps0082127e.jpg
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s558/Vandy1vx4/100_4319_zpsdde690db.jpg
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s558/Vandy1vx4/100_4315_zps4ce529c4.jpg

Maybe we all should be assemblers and not modelers!!!!

Cheers
Danny
 _GOTOTOP