_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Question on gunboat turrets
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 219 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2015 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi folks.
I picked up a kit of the USS Tacoma vietnam era gunboat off of ebay recently. The three inch gun turret on the foredeck had plexiglass panels on the turrent face on either side of the gun. I found a few pics on the net showing portions of the gun support visible from the outside. The support looks to be a light gray or white color. The lights were out in the turret so everything else in the background was dark. The kit turret is molded solid, with a window frame. I'm thinking about trying to open the turret in the kit to show a basic interior. I'm using a 5mm clear LED bulb for the plexiglass dome on top of the turret. But I'm wondering what color would the interior of the turret be painted. Also, what other structure or equipment would be visible within a lighted turret. I've recently been to the USS Alabama and USS Kidd museums with the turret interiors looking a darkish gray. Would this be correct for a vietnam era gunboat? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
John
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2015 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi folks,
Just as an update. I tried the gunboatriders.com website but their FAQ and Forum links have been deactivated. If you know of other resources to try I would appreciate the info.
Thanks again.
John
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 11:04 AM UTC
Hey John, try navsource.com, full of good stuff that might help you. I'm using it for my P.T. build.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 04:36 PM UTC
John

Here is the link for the USS Tacoma on NavSource

http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/11092.htm

Not much in the way of photos though

Hope it helps

Dave
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 08:08 AM UTC
Thank you Bob and Dave. The Navsource.com info was helpful. Lacking any further info to the contrary, I think I will go with a very light gray interior and place a few scratchbuilt bits similar to what I saw in the 5 inch turrets on the Alabama and Kidd. Don't know yet how much will actually be visible in this scale.
Thanks again guys.
John
 _GOTOTOP