_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
1/16 carrier deck tie-downs?
Jeeves64
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi all...new to the forums but this seems like the best place to get help- I am finishing up the Verlinden USN 1/16 pilot and have scratchbuilt a base using basswood for the deck. I arranged it so I have just one section to be used for a tie down strip- but can't seem to find anything in the scale appropriate. Does anyone have knowledge of a place or artist who could custom create a strip to be used as such? Many thanks in advance!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 05:58 AM UTC
Hi Mike, welcome aboard! A quick look around, I came up short in trying to locate a 1/16 version of the tie-down strips. Looking like you might need to scratch one up. Depending on how large of a base, you should not have to make up that long of a stretch. A few mirrored "C" cutouts in some styrene or brass might do the trick. My first guess would be to try and make a punch of some kind....maybe from an old screwdriver. Use a Dremel tool to grind out the letter C. Whack the end and it should punch 1/2 the shape right out as long as the edges are sharp.

I have to figure one of the fellas here might have a better idea on how to get from point A to point B!

A little inspiration...

Jeeves64
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 03:46 PM UTC
Appreciate your help Todd...yeah maybe a piece of foil strip would work...but getting the Cs down in a consistent manner would take some doing and a fair bit of luck . I suppose I should take s pic of what I've done to give folks a better idea of what I have to work with-- I'm on my way in to work so I'll post something later today...thanks again Todd!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 07:31 PM UTC
Would using a section of brass square "C" channel as a punch work? Sharpen one end and bang on the other!
Jeeves64
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 12:30 AM UTC
Yeah...that just might-- thanks! I'll see what I can dig up...
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 03:21 AM UTC
I'd fabricate it from bits of styrene strip to maintain the sharpness. Fine Scale Modeler mag had some scale plans in an old issue (1980s or 1990s) that had the dimensions. I'm sure someone can lay hands on the relevant issue.
Jeeves64
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thanks- I will give that a look see as well...

Here is the base in it's present (not so) glory....

_GOTOTOP