_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
Thresher/Permit Class submarine
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 11:52 PM UTC
Just can't wait for the Submarine Campaign build so to release some of that pent up desire I'm starting my Micro-Mir 1/350 Thresher/Permit class submarine kit.

This class of boat is often referred to as the Thresher and Permit class because it started with the first boat 'Thresher' (SSN-593). Thresher was refinement to the 'Skipjack' class, retaining the bulbous nose but with an elongated hull and was built with emphasis being placed on more quietness for stealth.

The Thresher was lost on On 9 April 1963 about 200 miles from Cape Cod due to what is believed to be issues in her construction and design. After an extensive investigation, numerous modifications and improvements were done to the designed and the class was renamed after the next hull (SSN-594) was launched under the name 'Permit'.

Micor-Mir's kit has fine engraved details on the dorsal and ventral sides of the hull and to preserve this detail the hull parts are split horizontaly as opposed to the more common vertical hull split.

A photo etch prop and cleats are included. Here is the parts layout:

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 10:37 PM UTC
I seemed to miss this one all together Michael! Nice looking kit there!! Should fend off the submarine wolves until the campaign!
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 12:26 AM UTC
Looks like a nice kit, happy modelling
 _GOTOTOP