_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
UK (not German) Z-class destroyer?
DUKWsinarow
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 05:56 AM UTC
I thought it would be interesting to build a model of the wreck of the El Qaher which is a British Z-class destroyer, ex-HMS Myngs R06.

While under Egyptian command, the El Qaher was attacked by either an Israeli F-4 or Mirage (sources differ) on May, 16 1970, and set ablaze. The Egyptians were unable to bring the fire under control and she eventually settled by the stern with her bow protruding above the surface of the water, and remains this way today.

I thought that this wreck would make a really interesting model and am hoping to locate a model of a British Z-class destroyer to serve as the starting point for such a model...

Would any of you know where I could locate such a model???
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 12:58 PM UTC
Hi Tyler,

White Ensign Models did produce a V class in 1/700th scale which would be almost identical. (Albeit in WW2 fit).

There was talk of one in 1/350th scale but I don't think it was released before they went under.

Other than that, I can't think of an easy option.

Sounds like a great project if you can find something.

Cheers.

Si
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 03:25 PM UTC
This would be a fantastic build! I love a good wreck! Judging from the decay, I would think you could probably getaway with almost any RN destroyer if you needed a template of sorts. Basically most of it is framing which would be scratch-built. You have the two 4.7 inch L/45 Mk.IX guns and those are pretty much shells too! Have at it....looks like it would be too much FUN!!
 _GOTOTOP