_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
HMS Naiad 1940
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:46 PM UTC
Flyhawk Model launches another 1/700 scale offering into the ship building community with their HMS Naiad 1940 kit. Todd Michalak gives us his review of this kit.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 12:18 AM UTC
Great looking Kit Todd,

The detail looks better than some 1/350th kits.

I could almost go back to 1/700th to build this, although, I think the scheme given with the kit may be inaccurate, he pattern looks right, but from my references the colours should be AP507B, P507Cand Black.

Still great though, thanks for the review Todd,

Cheers

Si
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 03:32 AM UTC
Flyhawk is really doing an amazing stuff with plastic. Thanks for the bit of information on the scheme. The was the only area I was having some trouble tracking down the info. There were limited pictures of the ship which does not help things...not to mention there are two books that bring up the color(s) of the ship (neither one I have btw) and they both contradict each other...LOL!! Personally I am good with both options...just which one? Flipping a coin!!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 09:15 AM UTC
I am incredibly impressed with Flyhawk. The finesse of the molding and the level of detail is amazing. The fit of the model I have built is excellent, too.
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 - 11:40 AM UTC
That kit looks very promising and it has an under water part.
Looks like a must have
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 12:45 AM UTC
Exactly Fred! Just some top notch plastic! I will be sure to report on the fit as soon as I dig in on the kit!

Bernd, it is nice to have that option of the full hull if someone needs it! For the price and the detailing, I do say this is a Must Have!
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:25 PM UTC
Sometimes it seems, that i am doing "full hull" kits in this scale alone.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 07:48 PM UTC
Nothing wrong with that at all Bernd! I think with an increasing use of ships in watery dioramas, especially the larger scales, the waterline version makes for an easier application. With the 1/700, I don't se it making too much of a difference with or without the hull as the size is so small. With the small ships, I think the manufacturers should give at least the full hull. Not everyone goes after the diorama setting!
berndm
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 01:05 AM UTC
The problem with waterline kits is most, the ship will sit too low in the "high seas" best is to cut down a full hull kit, at the right high.
Flyhawk has done an interesting move, at the start of my business, i contacted them to have their products in my shop and i asked them, if they plan to do S.M.S Derfflinger as a full hull kit, they said no, nothing is planed, now they did it with this kit, so i still hope...and will probably get the Naiad.
The presentation with this great looking box is a very nice idea too, i really like that
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The problem with waterline kits is most, the ship will sit too low in the "high seas" best is to cut down a full hull kit, at the right high.

You could glue styrene strip, just a few mm's in depth, to simulate a lower hull in a rough seas setting. It won't be an actual lower hull, but all you'll see is a bit of it below the waterline.
 _GOTOTOP