_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Best 1/350 Destroyer model?
ChrisK89
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 80 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 09:32 PM UTC
Good evening,

i never build a ship model and really dont what is really important here so i have to ask this question:

What in your opinion is the best 1/350 WW2 destroyer model?
Nation is not important, IJN, US Navy or German Kriegsmarine.. all are fine.

I found out there are the following kits suitable for my concerns:

Dragon Benson or Buchanan
Tamiya Fletcher
Dragon Z-Destroyers
Trumpeter Z-Destroyers
Tamiya Yukikaze

But as i said.. i have no idea on what to focus and how to find out what the best detailed or best all around model of these is.

I hope you can help me or can follow my problem

cheers Chris
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 09:54 PM UTC
Hi Chris! Welcome aboard!! I am sure you will get a bunch of great opinions on what to choose first! From the list, personally I would go with any of the Dragon kits to start off...mainly because they are moderately to nicely detailed and come with a light amount of PE to add that extra detailing without having to buy a bunch of aftermarket parts.

I suggest that any kit you choose, have a go at it without getting a pile of aftermarket. Getting a couple under your belt before dumping the extra money into the kits is lighter on the wallet, makes for a quicker easier build and more FUN! Even though I mentioned suggesting not to get AM parts, gun barrels are a low cost quick and dirty improvement to any kit. Master Models and RB Model are a great starting point to look for some.

How to see whatever you choose here soon! Enjoy!
ChrisK89
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 10:06 PM UTC
I forgot to say or maybe it was difficult to understand:

The ship i want to build is not the very first model itself but only the first ship.

So, aftermarket items aren't any problem and i would prefer to use them to get the best out of the model.

(I'm a little perfectionist )

cheers Chris
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC
If you have any modelling experience, at all, I would go with any of the Dragon Laffey/Benson/Livermore/etc. classes, or their Gearing class. You will need PE for the deck railings, and any further detail that is not included in the kits. The Dragon German destroyers, Z types, are also very good. Trumpeter aren't bad, but usually leave something to be desired. Tamiya Yukikaze is also good, goes together well, but usually more pricey than Dragon, and also needs PE. IMHO, Dragon kits will give the best results, and best looking model.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

Would agree the Benson / Livermore class kit I would think is a very good choice. Gold medal Models produce a very nice etch set to go with it.

As Biggles says the Dragon Z class are a more detailed than the trumpeter, but I would add slightly over engineered in places, and the choices of upgrade is less, either Eduard, who are, in my opinion, far better at aircraft & armour than ships; or Flyhawk, which is more extensive but very expensive.

Cheers

Si
ChrisK89
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2015 - 12:09 AM UTC
I found a cheap USS Benson DD-421 1945 on Ebay and managed to get it. But the Gold Medal Model PE is 70$.... instead i ordered the PE from Tom's Modelworks.

Wish me luck and thanks for the help!

cheers Chris
 _GOTOTOP