_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
WWII, Food, and American subs
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:47 PM UTC
I came across this page looking for references and found it interesting. I love to ready about life for the common soldier/sailor/airmen from all nations during the Second World War really enjoyed this.

It's from the US Navy website under a section for their publication of Undersea Warfare magazine. I had heard before that US subs were the most comfortable subs of WWII and this article on the food served aboard them certainly supports that assertion.

http://www.public.navy.mil/subfor/underseawarfaremagazine/Issues/Archives/issue_46/pig_boats.html
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 12:59 AM UTC
Thanks for that delightful link, Michael!
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 03:07 PM UTC
It doesn't mention the big problem, if you were in a diesel submarine EVERYTHING tasted of diesel...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 10:07 PM UTC
Thanks for posting this. It was a great read.

When I was about 12 or 13 my first job was working in the kitchen of the Elks lodge my Dad belonged to. The "chef" was an old retired Navy Chief who was a cook in the Navy. I don't know if he served on subs or not but he certainly knew his way around a kitchen. Until this time I was a pretty finicky eater. He taught me to really enjoy food. One look at my waist line certainly proves he taught me well.

_GOTOTOP