_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Ships, tanks, boats and planes !
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 07:35 PM UTC
I have been building warships for around 20 years now, and I could not do this without also being a aircraft and armor builder also ! For me they just go hand and hand. And when at times I start getting bogged down with a subject, I can change to a different subject and get a fresh start! History being the one main thing that ties them all together. And there is benifits to working with different types of models, I learn special techniques on ships that I can use on Armor models. The same goes with aircraft, And I find I enjoy it more that way!
Does anyone else find there modeling like this? Or are you deticated to one type of model?

Cheers to you all! Garry
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:34 PM UTC
Yup, thats exactly the case with me. I remember when I was about 8 the only reason i bought models were becuase they were military stuff and they looked 'cool' and had guns on them.
Come to think of it thats still the reason i buy them.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:27 AM UTC

YEP! You're 'spot-on' mate! Before my recent turn to the armour side of modeling, I was a real 'wingy' thing modeler (I have boxes of my old AC models back on the East Coast stored at my Mum's house). Before that (believe it or not) I built some boats, mainly sailing ships because at the time my Da was teaching my how to rig WW I biplanes. So the transition was natural. I even built a PT-109 (grew up in the days of Kennedy).
So, yes. I'm fortunate in that I enjoy all aspects of modeling, AND thanks to you fellas here, I am getting better at ALL of them!!!!!

Tread.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC
I'm with the rest of you folks. Mainly I make what strikes my fancy. Since getting back into modeling I've made one wingy thingy, a 1/48 Monogram B17, that pretty much got me out of wanting to make any planes. I've made one ship, the USS ARIZONA, and kind of liked it. Now what fancies me is ships again, especially 1/700. I've never made anything that small before and I'm really interested in trying them out.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 03:55 AM UTC
I am in with the rest of you. As a kid I built just about everything - including, Bless their little hearts :-) , cars

I have mainly been building armor, but have recently switched to aircraft and going to be starting a NUC boat for the ship campaign - MUST HAVE VARIETY :-)
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 05:16 AM UTC
And I thought I was the only one that was so fickle about modeling! I LOVE military modeling, especially ships. However, I often find myself spending too much time on one particular model, getting tired of it, moving on to another, then another, then another, and then back to the first. It's Dante's Tenth Concentric Circle of Modeling Hell around here. I've got about a dozen projects on the workbench... all unfinished... but getting closer every day. There's the hulk of my 1:426 Arizona, a ready-to-paint 1:350 Bismarck, a 1:48 P-51D mustang in the fill-and-sand stage, a "rite-of-passage" Lindberg Fletcher waiting for rigging, a 1:35 Matilda waiting for decals, and my current 1:700 Vella Gulf project. Even now I'm learing obsessively at an unopened, just-released 1:72 Dragon M1A2! What to do! AAAAHHHRRRG!!
I built a lot of different kits when I was a kid (usually whatever the parents got me) then I sort of stopped for a long time. I only got back into it about two years ago. Gone are the days when I could just glue an entire kit together in one night, slap some decals on it and be satisfied to look at it it for a few weeks before tossing it into the toybox ('sigh'). Now, I'm never satisfied... feverishly jumping from project to project. I fantasize (OK, maybe that's TOO strong a word...) about the day when I glue on that last spar, track link, or canopy, step back with hands-on-hips, look around my workspace, and say, "HOLY CRAP! I'm out of models! Time for a trip to Hobby-mart! Let's see... I'll need at LEAST twenty kits... Now, what to tell the wife..."

Eternally Modeling,
Todd
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

a "rite-of-passage" Lindberg Fletcher

Is that the old Blue Devil destoyer? Boy is THAT a blast from the past. I never built it but I well remember how my nearest GOOD hobby shop when I was a kid, as opposed to the local Rexal Drug or Quigley's five and dime, had that kit sitting on the war for years.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 06:08 AM UTC
I couldn't agree more with some of the sentiments expressed here... Each type of modelling carries its own inherent problems to overcome. All of us should be able (and adult enough) to learn from other modelling disciplines. I would hate getting boxed-in by just one theme it's only a matter of time before I send-off for one of those big Trumpeter carriers.... Jim
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 07:44 AM UTC
Yup. The Blue Devil in 1:125 scale. All 36 glorious inches of it. It's a love-hate project. I love the subject and I love the fact that it's a BIG kit, but it drove(drives) me crazy that there are a lot of inaccuracies that need fixing (speaking of which... never, never, NEVER buy the Lindberg HMS Hood... BIG time bathtub toy... worst kit ever... SWEET! A new Forum thread idea...). The Melvin is still in production (or at least available in some hobby stores and on-line) and if you feel the urge to build it, there's a great article on the ModelWarships.com website on how to do a few things to spruce up the kit.

Todd
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

never, never, NEVER buy the Lindberg HMS Hood... BIG time bathtub toy... worst kit ever...

Too late Todd. I got that puppy when I was about 16. It wasn't a model, it was a toy that by a strange coincidence looked a little like the Hood. I'm not 100% sure what happened to it, but it probably had something to do with a firecracker and a long fuse.

I've read the Heller kit rivals it as the worst HMS Hood kit ever made, without the Lindberg excuse that they were making a moterized ship to play with in a lake.
triumph
Visit this Community
Hordaland, Norway
KitMaker: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:52 AM UTC
You are spot on friend. As long as it has a history or is military, bring it on
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 11:20 AM UTC
I feel the same way. Actually-- I think it is a bit strange that some people ONLY build ONE type of model. When I was in an IPMS chapter, one fellow only built Bf109's, one guy built only german armor, etc.... Now I can see loving a style or even a certain plane(109's had alot of variation) but to only build those kits for years?
I like to mix things up just to give my brain a rest...each type of model does hold certain challenges that are unique to it--tracks and road wheels for tanks, the perfect water-line for ships, stream-lined look or the perfectly masked canopy of a plane:) )

Hers's a question: do you guys/gals think that it is better to be an expert in one area and dabble in others, or know a little about everything?

Sean
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I feel the same way. Actually-- I think it is a bit strange that some people ONLY build ONE type of model. When I was in an IPMS chapter, one fellow only built Bf109's, one guy built only german armor, etc.... Now I can see loving a style or even a certain plane(109's had alot of variation) but to only build those kits for years?
I like to mix things up just to give my brain a rest...each type of model does hold certain challenges that are unique to it--tracks and road wheels for tanks, the perfect water-line for ships, stream-lined look or the perfectly masked canopy of a plane:) )

Hers's a question: do you guys/gals think that it is better to be an expert in one area and dabble in others, or know a little about everything?

Sean

Hey Sean, I think its best to know a little about all area's. But at times a certian subject will realy capture ones attention, like with me, its Battleships! I seam to study more about these than any other ship type. So I think we can be well rounded with different subjects, but we are bound to specialize in somthing. Human nature I guess!

Regards,
Garry
 _GOTOTOP