_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building My Trumpeter HMS warspite
Lionfish
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 35 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 12:30 PM UTC
hi everyone,

first off i know the trumpeter kit was slated for hull accuracy, but this is only my third ship. And i hope that i am getting better. I am adding some details in the form of a wooden deck (wood hunter) and i have some generic railings that i will use, although i wonder if anyone knows of an aftermarket set to replace the plastic cranes as they look awful! so basic camo on and started on the guns....

anyway some pics:

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 08:08 PM UTC
You may also want to replace the gun barrels. For some reason Trumpeter has made them look almost comical!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 10:22 PM UTC
Nice work so far Alistair! Nice to see the color come out!

WEM has a nice set...albeit a bit pricey for just the cranes but there are a bunch of improvements on the sheet. For barrels, take a peek at Master, RB Models and B&d Barrels.

Keep up the good work!
Lionfish
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 02:39 AM UTC
Might look at the barrels.. i agree they look like something out of an anime movie... and another thing missing really is the aerials on the masts... hmmmm
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 222 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 04:36 PM UTC
Nice work. It's a shame that the Academy kit stole Trumpeter's thunder with this kit.

Personally, I have yet to find a detailed review which actually states exactly HOW the Trumpeter Warspite hull is wrong.

I am in a similar position to you in that I have no PE set for this kit. The former WEM one was way over-priced, so I didn't bother. I do have the Master barrels set though.

If anyone can point me to a few PE sets which would at least make up the railings I'd be very grateful.

Lionfish
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 05:24 PM UTC
Dave,

Railings - toms model works or any RN set for Battleships.. can't even remember which company mine is from! the hull shape is a bit overdone but to be honest it goes together really well so i will not begrudge the money spent on it. the plastic has plenty of detail - a ladders and stairs set from Tom's would sort most of the issues out without going to a full detail set and maybe some antennas. But my biggest complaint is the cranes should be etch they look awful.. but with some careful painting i will get her done
 _GOTOTOP