_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Please help detailing Trumpeter type 23 1/350
jamesp111
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 11:55 PM UTC
I'm going to build one of the Trumpeter 1/350 type 23 frigates as my first ship model, but have a few questions:

I believe the only difference between sets is the decals and helicopter.

I'll get the White Ensign Models PE set. I was also planning to get their "kryten" gun and Merlin helicopter, but these are out of stock. Is there an alternative for these items, especially the gun?
I saw someone mentioned buying the airfix illustrious flight wing to get a merlin in the correct scale, but I can't find this.

Who makes the best crew figures in 1/350 scale?

EDIT: I've just noticed White Ensign Models only just got resurrected, so assume the above shortages will be fixed soon anyway; will probably wait until it's all back in stock. Only outstanding query is the crew figures...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 01:43 AM UTC
North Star probably make the best 1/350 figs. They are 3D resin printed: http://northstarmodels.com/product-category/figures/1-350/ They may not have modern British sailors, but in this scale it's difficult to establish nationalities. Just choose a set which most closely resembles what you want and paint accordingly. Most of these fig sets contain at least 50 figs in various poses. I've ordered direct from North Star and they are reliable.
jamesp111
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:56 PM UTC
Thanks, I'll look into those.

As I research this more, I realise I'm going to need a bit of hand-holding for this build: I've never built a model ship before (only amour).

Colours:
I will only use Tamiya acrylic paints as I'm very familiar with them and find them excellent for airbrushing.
I'm intending to filter and pinwash the ship, so if the colour is slightly off (especially if too light) then it's OK.

For black I'll use XF-69 nato black to take the edge off, and I have XF-9 hull red already.

Beyond that I'd appreciate some advice on what Tamiya greys to use?
Their colour chart pdf is here: https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln/72/XF-chart-23ml.pdf
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 07:55 PM UTC
If you're not already doing this, I reccomend thinning Tamiya "acrylic" paint with their own lacquer thinner (yellow top bottle). The paint will go on super smooth, and more durable than with other thinners. Airbrushing only!
jamesp111
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 - 02:16 AM UTC
I use their x20-a acrylic thinner and have loads of it left. Just never had any problems using it and the paint flows brilliantly. People do say the lacquer thinner is better, but I haven't tried it.

Ordered the trumpeter Montrose, WEM PE and some EZ line. I'm really excited to have a go at some serious PE!

also ordered the Ak interactive weathering German ships dvd, as I can't find many painting resources on ships compared to afv modelling (which has lots of DVDs, magazines and books on painting them). Is armour modelling a lot more popular?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 - 07:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is armour modelling a lot more popular?

Armor modelling is a lot more widespread than shipmodelling. I used to do armor before I started on ships. I still do the odd armor piece - usually in 1/72 as they take up less space.
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just take a look at the visitor count at Armorama compared to Model Shipwrights.

Eh. I guess most people aren't comfortable with cannons over 5"
jamesp111
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 - 09:56 PM UTC
Yep - Armorama has about 8 times as many visitors in the last 30 minutes.

That could just mean Kitmaker is more popular for armour than ships though.

I remember local model shops always seemed to have lots of ships, so assumed they were popular.
Maybe they were just more noticeable due to their size!

I do seem to have picked a bad time to have a go at ship modelling; With WEM moving to the USA, customs and handling charges mean extra-detailing kits could be rather expensive: In this instance £31 for the kit. £27 for photo etch and probably £13 customs & handling charge for the photo etch.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In one word, yes, even compared to aircraft modellers whom would come in as second most popular.

I think for most modellers ships are seen as a bit intimidating with all the small bits and also once you add the pe and rigging for a decent finish they get scared. You also have to take into account the different way in which you paint a ship to armour, with armour you build then paint on the whole, while with ships you paint and build sub-assemblies before bringing it all together making sure any areas that do still need paint can be got at once in place.

For me the step was easy, I came from 1/72 armour and 1/144 aircraft so I'm already used to dealing with the small, still do a spot of both.

Oh that AK DVD is good, I've got it and it has been of use with my builds. I'd also recommend the North Star figures but also check out L'Arsenal as they do resin 3D figures as opposed to the so called 3D pe figures.

I can't help with the paint as I don't use Tamiya lacquer, hate the stuff. Most of my models are hand painted and however I've tried to thin Tamiya I've never been able to brush paint with it, so for me it's Lifecolor, Revell aquacolor and Vallejo.
jamesp111
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do seem to have picked a bad time to have a go at ship modelling

Actually scratch that. Some of the extra-detailing kits look incredible!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Go to any IPMS comp: there's about 3 tables of armor for every table of ships. But then, aircraft outnumbers armor.

jamesp111
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 03:51 PM UTC
I went for paints:
XF-54 Deep Sea Grey
XF-80 Naval Sea Grey

Notably, the WEM PE arrived only eight days after ordering it :-)

I've already ordered my next kit (as the lead time is 2-5 weeks):
1/700 Trumpeter HMS Hood 1941, and the Flyhawk superdetail kit.
I figure that even if I mess up the tiny PE, it'll give me plenty of cheap practice (£45 for the kit, metal barrels and 10 sheets of PE!).
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hello James.

As one who has dabbled in almost all the genres of model making I have finally settled on ships as the give me the most satisfaction to build, and each is like a number of small kits that eventually go together to form the finished product. After about 46 years of building model that is where I am at.

As for the bits you need for your Type 23 you need to be careful what ship you are modelling and from what period you are modelling it. Some started with the Lynx helicopters and changed to the Merlin later. Some started with one type of main gun and turret and changed over and some had the newer type from the start.

Lots of good photos online to refer to.

Good luck
Warren
jamesp111
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 02:24 PM UTC
Yes, I've had to compromise on this as I would have liked to do an up-to-date version, but:
-WEM is not producing the later turret yet
-The Trumpeter Merlin is too big

The vertical missile launchers look different in the photos to the model as well. Does anyone know if the domed launchers in the kit were ever used?
The new photos I've seen show flat-topped launchers mostly topped with yellow glass.
I'm kind of assuming the kit is again correct for an earlier version.

So overall it seemed simpler to model an older version with the round turret, domed launchers and a Lynx.
 _GOTOTOP