3D printed FREMM frigate
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hello to all Ship modelers,

I am still a beginner on the wet side, this would be my second attempt at a waterline.
I have been wanting the make the FREMM frigate for sometime now but I found there are no kits available for it except a 1/700 scale kit at an absurd price.

After long search I decided to look for a 3D printable model of the FREMM and print it on my Solidoodle printer at home.

I finally came upon this over simplified model, it has been modified to allow easy 3D printing and has therefore lost a lot of details.

Since my printing limits are 20x20 cm I have printed the model at a diagonal orientation to try to obtain the longest size possible.

it was a rather neat print and needed a bit of sanding

in order to increase the level of detail, i added some scratch built details.

I then primed the model

I painted the Hull with Tamiya XF12 JN grey and the deck with a darker grey

I then added some home printed decals and hand painted details

proceeded to make the waterline base:

finally the final result:

I do realize that the result of 3D printing is far from good, but it was the only available option for the FREMM, I thought to share this interesting technique of building ships with you. Still this technology has fare to go before it can replace ready kits. but its a start
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 04:55 AM UTC
Well done Hussein! 3D rendering does have a ways to go for the personal application, but you managed to bang out a nicely crafts representation of the ship! Great job on the base as well! Keep pushing the boundaries of that printer!!
helkaissy
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 244 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thanks Todd,

The idea was to get a representative model and see to what level of details i can take it.
The complex deck details are still too much for a standard home 3d printer
 _GOTOTOP