_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Civilian Ships & Boats
Covers all non-sail civilian ships, craft, and boats.
DEMAG 100t swimming crane ("HHLA 3") - 1/350
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 813 posts
Model Shipwrights: 304 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 01:45 PM UTC
1941 DEMAG built a 100t swimmimg crane for the use in ship-construction and other works in the harbours.
During the late 1960s the crane was bought from "HHLA" (Hamburg Hafen Logistics AG).
Today, the crane is restored and still in use in Hamburg harbour...

The German manufacturer BJ Models offers this swimming crane as a small kit in scale 1/350, consisting of one Resin part (Pontoon) and 5 frets of photo etched parts.

In the following you could see the crane built up before painting. I have soldered the parts as it would be too labile gluing it only at the thin etches. Only the small parts are glued together.
The crane could remain movable as the original one, but I will glue it in the position as it is in the painted pictures.
The pontoon received some further details such as etched doors, hatches, vents, etc... which I still had from an old Bismarck Eduard set.

After a layer of black primer I sprayed it in light grey at the top, and in black with a cloudy brown on the pontoon...

The next step will be painting of the superstructure on the pontoon in light grey, and futher details. THen weathering. Then rigging. Then a small base

CHEERS - Michael
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:06 PM UTC
That is some awesome work. You must gave the patience of a saint to work with all that etch! Looking forward to seeing the finished result.
Its cool that old equipment like this is still working hard in the 21st century.
 _GOTOTOP