_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
1/350 Dragon USS Livermore
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 02:18 AM UTC
After a huge pause, here is another nearly finished maritime project, which nearly ended in complete disaster. The kit is great, fit nearly perfect, I had no issues with the kit at all. But I created a lot of problems myself. I dropped the kit down to the floor. TWICE. Both times the hull split open. The second time when this happened, I was just finishing the decals and in a fit of anger nearly trashed the kit. But then I calmed down and repaired and repainted the hull. Now the kit is 95 percent complete. The longboats are missing as are the anchors, anchor chaines and couple of part need aditional painting. I also made a couple of stupid mistakes - the aft torpedu laucher has 4 tubes instead of 5 and the mainmast is not exactly matching the real thing. Also the rigging is just a representation and not nearly as complete as in reality. The thing is im certain this kit is under a bad spell and Im literally Afraid to take it out of the cabinet to finish it. So I will wait a bit and maybe in a few weeks or months when planets are alined properly again I will take it out and finish it finally.

rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 04:22 AM UTC
Naseby,

Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations with this kit. In spite of that you have accomplished a great work of art. The paint work is crisp and clean and the details really pop

Great job

Dave
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 06:32 AM UTC
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger...or so I have heard...in this case it is more like, what doesn't kill us keeps us from tossing things into the bin! I am with Dave on this one...fine job! Clean paint job!! Well done!
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 09:24 PM UTC
Wow, it's a gorgeous looking build for what you have now!
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 02:04 PM UTC
Thank You for the comments. In the end, its good that the kit didnt end up in the trash. However Im still not completely satisfied with the result, so there might be another USN early DD project in the future, maybe a Gleaves Class, since I also intend to do something in the Measure 12 camouflage.
 _GOTOTOP