_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Sovereign of the Seas - Build
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 01:40 AM UTC
Back at it!!!

Well, all of the gun ports were finally cut out. Not too bad...a little drilling around the perimeter of each on and then attacked the openings with my dremel.

As you can see the outer planking as begun. This process is half as tedious as the first layer. I am actually using contact adhesive for this part. Apply the glue to both halves, allow to dry and bang....stuck!

I am using the same template I made to create the initial gun ports to mark out and cut the top layer. This is of course a cleaner cut that will get filed back to allow 12mm x 13mm gun port framing to be installed a few pages ahead in the instructions.

That's it for the moment. I am just about ready to construct yet another piece for the stern. This will define how the outer planking will terminate in the aft section of the ship....then....a little painting will commence!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 10:35 AM UTC
Todd,

glad and somewhat relieved to see that all the gun ports are cut out without any structural damage to the ship!!

Looks really good, and with the second layer of planking and frames to the gun ports to be installed it all makes sense - looks really good!!

Looking forward to see your work on the stern and the outer planking completed!

Cheers,
Jan
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 01:28 AM UTC
Ahoy Todd

Looking real good.

Cheers

Sean
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 02:09 AM UTC
Finally! Well it's been about 2 months since I updated the thread. I had to bang out a few smaller projects along the way while continuing the secondary planking of the hull.But now, the planking is done!

Since the planking was completed, it was time to follow the instruction and mask off the color banding of the hull. The first step was the upper section needed to be painted black.

Just below the black band, there will be a section of natural wood, followed by red, or in my case a deeper red oxide color (I just like it), followed by the lower hull being white.

I think the bottle of water gives a good sense of the 1/84 scaling of this ship!

The oxide boot striping has been painted on both sides. Time to add the black whale boards next which will straddle the boot stripe and then onto adding the galleries to the stern!

Thanks for stopping in!!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 12:05 AM UTC
Wow Todd,

that's absolutely impressive!! Fantastic work on this truly big model! All your woodwork looks really perfectly flush - lots of sanding required or can it actually be build that smooth?? I am deeply impressed!!

Great update, good to see this wonderful project going on!!

Cheers,
Jan
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 04:45 AM UTC
Very nice work on the planking
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2016 - 03:51 AM UTC
Thanks Jan! Having fun when I can get to the bench lately!! Yes, it does lay mostly flat. Getting the framing straight and faring the first layer is more than 3/4's of the job. The thin planks go down quickly.

Thank you very much Grant!!
mgrummitt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:17 PM UTC
Great job so far!! Looking great!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 12:04 AM UTC
Thank you Mike...much appreciated!
LCB248
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 05:34 AM UTC
Have been missing your updates. Looking good!

LCB

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thanks Larry!! No worries...I have been missing my updates! I appreciate you swinging by!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:23 AM UTC
Finally, I had the chance to get back to the wooden ship on the bench! I did manage do do a few other things on the ship such as working on the gallery sections...chopped up a bunch of wood for gun ports (which I am not looking forward to installing) and finally the bow.

The bow section was kind of fun. I needed to make the grating which is fitted to the beak of the ship...

The provided template showed the basic layout to the grates. Once built, it was only a matter of marking them form the bottom side and a little cutting and sanding.

Of course I popped some clear onto these parts to offset the coloring from the stained deck around it.

The final result...

I am working on the forward bulkhead exterior now. More sanding and a coat of black on it and the beak and the grating will be installed! There is a whole bunch of white metal parts to clean up and paint for the stern...fun fun fun! Thanks for stopping by!
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:19 AM UTC
Wow Todd, this is amazing work! The gratings look superb - and you make sound so simple and easy...but I don't buy that- there's definitely some really skilled work involved! Nice job!!

Cheers,
Jan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 04:00 PM UTC
Thanks Jan! While there was a little fiddly stuff after the cut, in trying to keep the edge on the grates together, things did kind of just fall together. I clear coated to help stick things a little better and not make a mess with the glue. After they were slid in place, I did apply thinned down white glue with a brush and that was that!

:)
damoore46
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hi, Todd. Just checking in on this thread. I was following and noticed that there had not been a post in awhile. Hope everything is OK.

David
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi Todd,

Your Sovereign of the Seas is looking fantastic! That's some real modeling with the hull, especially for those like me who only work from plastic kits. I even wimped out on the plastic Lindberg Sovereign of the Seas a while back because it looked too complicated... after following your work on this one, now I just feel lazy!

DARIVS
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hello Todd,

Your build log has inspired me to choose this model to build for myself. Are you going to continues this build? I eagerly await your next update!

Many thanks!
 _GOTOTOP