_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Ship stands
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hey everybody-
Usually an armor builder but I have the 1:350 scale Tammy Eisenhower and was planning on renewing my commitment to build the beast. When I first received the kit, the plastic stand that came with it was warped beyond repair. Does anyone have a technique for making a new stand for it? Thanks for your help.
Kyle
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 07:04 AM UTC
Why not just mount it on a Board w/ a couple of Spacers??
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 07:09 AM UTC
If you promise not to look at the ship itself, which I'm not overly proud of as a first effort, go to my gallery and look at my USS ARIZONA. What I did is use some left over molding, like you can get at Home Depot or Lowes, and attached it around a piece of 1 x 8. I then picked up a couple wood thingies at Michaels; I think they were supposed to be candlesticks for a dollhouse, to use as the pedestals. Instead of the molding you can also use a router to make the edges of the base fancier. Finally you can buy ready made plagues at places like Hobby Lobby or Michaels.
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 08:00 AM UTC
I usually go down to Home Depot and buy a nice knotless plank of 1"x6" white pine, route or plane an edge on it (or Hell, just leave it smooth and flat), then I look for brass fineals in the lighting section. Get ones that have a hole all the way through and would look good holding up a ship model. We're taling a total of $6.00, tops (a little more if you want to buy finishing products for the wood). Drill holes in the wood and mount the model to the plank with long wood screws that pass through the fineals and into the model. For support in the model, I usually epoxy a block of wood to the inside of the hull for the screw to drive into. I know some people build fancy mold dams inside the hull where the screws will go and poor resin into them to form blocks for the screws, but I find that scrap wood is just fine.

There are a ton of ideas out there. Just visit some of the ship modeling sites and take a look at the model galleries for inspiration.

www.steelnavy.com
www.modelwarships.com

Todd
 _GOTOTOP