_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
IJN Battleship Yamoto out of mothballs !
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 03:23 PM UTC
After a 3 month break and 4 Armor models later. My Tamiya 1/350 Yamoto is back on the bench, PE frets are laid out, instructions and references at ready ! At this point the ship is about 60 % done. The deck is joined and painted, turrets are complete and attached. Superstructure is mostly attached and doors hatches and walkways with railing PE parts have been attached and ready to paint. Next will come all of the AAA gun batteries and radar assemblys. after that I can get started on the flite deck and hanger area's. I'm wanting to get this complete before the Campagne kicks off!
What projects do the rest of you have going or finishing up ?

Best regards,
Garry
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 06:32 PM UTC
Well the only ship I have on my list is my 1/350 MiniHobbies Bismarck, But I would have to say that its in Pre-Pre phase...I'm collecting pictures, line-drawings, reading books, shopping for some PE parts...also just looking over the kit and seeing any issues that I may need to address when I begin to assemble it. i am also planning on entering it in a November contest if it turns out well...so I am really taking time with this one

Sean
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:18 PM UTC
Well,

IJN Musashi in 1/700 scale is complete, in subassemblies.. I have been able to fix the few parts that had broken of with stretched sprue... first I could not get them tall enough to save my life, now, I have them 8 - 10 inches long, and thin as wire , I guess sometimes skills do move fast... I will probably prime it somewhere this week, if I can find the can of primer... I have made three subassemblies (hull, scmokestack, and rest of superstructure), and will paint the turrets seperately...

Right now, in production:

• DML Hornisse, to be built OOB. Painting will have to wait till I have an airbrush.
  • Tamiya Sd.Kfz 251 ausf D: see above.
  • Tamiya Sd.Kfz 7/1: With Eduard PE. I will finish this one... As I screwed up the Flak Vierling, I'll use the Vierling kit to replace it.
  • Tamiya Pak 40/L46 with Aber PE: I will finish this one as well....
  • DML Sd.Kfz 250/1 "Alte" with Aber PE: again a practice piece... will be finished. Might be in a dio with the Sd.Kfz. 7/1. I will attempt the weld-seams technique as described by Twig (IIRC) in his aticle).
  • Hasegawa Mig-27 "Flogger-D": Construction is done, I have not made my mind up yet wether I will handpaint this one, or will wait till I have my airbrush.

All of these are to be finished somewhere between now and summer, (except for the airbrush), as I have all the material required available to me, and will not be able to spend money on them...

Then I have a few future projects:

• Tamiya Wespe with Verlinden interior: To practice in the use of resin. I doubt I will use PE on this one...
  • Academy Tiger I Mid production with interior: This one I will use PE on, and do some scratchbuilding, with the help of the article on missing lynx, to correct some errors...
  • Tamiya Panzer IV J with CMK interior and Aber PE: This one I will go all out on... once I feel confident enough in all techniques...
  • Tamiya Jagdpanther Late: Similar project like the Pz IV J

On the shelves:

DML 250/1 "Alte", Tam Sd.Kfz 7/1, Sd.Kfz 7/2, Sd.Kfz. 250/1 "Stuka zu Fuß".

Projected summer project:

BMW R75 with sidecar, Sd.Kfz. 222, Sd.Kfz. 223 (at least one of them) for dio.

On the wishlist:

Another Hornisse, a Nashorn, the Panther series, Ferdinand, Elefant, the Hummel series....

For Christmas:

Tamiya 1/350 "Bismarck": I do plan to use PE on this one (the GMM set looked appealing).
Academy 1/48 Su-27 Flanker

As you can see, I am a bit of a treashead.... Though I do like ships ( I always intended to do a Bismarck), and building he Musashi was so much fun, it leaves a nagging feeling to do another ship...

Of course all these plans depend on the time and money available...

Best regards,

Harm
 _GOTOTOP