_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Whats a good 1st warship?
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 04:13 PM UTC
I am currently working on a 520 USS Saratoga, but I started it when i was about 8, really its just coming outta mothballs for learning how to build a ship, so it almost doesnt count. My question is this, what is a good ship to get next if I dont have that much experiance? Should I start off with a 1/350 size or a 1/700 size? Does it matter what size I start at for any reasons other than price?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 04:49 PM UTC
Howdy Scunge,
My suggestion for a starter kit would be Tamiya's 1/350 Fletcher Destroyer. This is a superb kit, easy to build with good fit , highly detailed, and builds into a fine model of an important warship from WW-2 ! Weather you end up building 1/700 or 1/350 later on, this is a great one to start with. I would just build it striat from the box, it will look fine.

Best of luck mate!

Garry
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 05:58 AM UTC
If you're worried about money, or just want to try a few hacker kits just to get used to some techniques and to develop your skills, go for the inexpensive Revell kits (like the one you have) for your first few tries. Don't worry about scale. If you look on the box cover they rate their kits by skill level. Stick to the Level 2 and 3 kits (not sure if there are any Level 2 ship kits though...). Try the PT-109 or the Arizona, or even the Missouri (just be aware that it's not very detailed...). It's most important starting out to choose a few easier kits and to have fun rather than worrying about how accurate something is or what the scale is.
If you don't mind the money and don't mind a little bit of a challenge, try the Tamiya 1:350 Fletcher. All of the Tamiya 1:350 kits are great, and they're pretty accurate and have super detail.

Happy Modeling,

Todd
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 06:52 AM UTC
I'm not sure I'd recommend a Arizona as a first attempt. Those fighting top control positions can be a real bear to get right, level, straight, and plumb. If I had it all to do over I think I'd go with a carrier, not as much superstructor to worry about. That's just me though. I would think your Sara would be a good choice.
 _GOTOTOP