_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
Suggested AM for Trumpeter 1:700 Essex?
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Model Shipwrights: 83 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 07:35 AM UTC
Hey guys. Well, my second thread here on shipwrights is a plea for help... Well, not so much a plea as it is just a question that I need answered... So here it is (with an intro, of course):

Recently on Facebook, there were some guys selling a Trumpeter and Dragon 1:700 Essex. I didn't get them (no matter how I bid, I just lost) and now I will be buying one online. But when I was reading the various reviews out there, I read that the Trumpeter's armament detail was pretty lacking (along with weapons shields) and Dragon's was detailed but too thick (albeit WITH shields). I figured I might as well just get some AM for the Trumpy kit as I wanted to make this into a little dio. So I went a-hunting for some AM! Since I found the Trumpeter kit as a low price (and I only have $45 left on my gift card) I knew I would have to find some more stuff at a low price. But I quickly ran into a problem... I'm not familiar with the watery world of modelling water-going vessels... But I did make a list of various things I am planning on getting. I just need your help, oh Great Ship Modellers, to inform me of what else might be a good option to try to obtain to make this build better. But first, the list of what I found to get:

-OceanSprite H065 WWII U.S Navy 40mm Bofors AA Cannon
-Five Star Model WWII USN 20mm Oerlikon Single & Twin Set

Unfortunately I can't get both because it'll go over the limit on my gift card. So I'll get the Bofors now and then try to see if I can't pay the seller through paypal or something.

Now I'm also going to be getting a couple sets of Trumpeter aircraft for the hangar and to set up as if in flight around the carrier. So I'll also need a set of dynamic propellers. I've found a set but can't get it for the reason above. I also bought a Verlinden set of 1:700 Warship Crews. I can figure out much of the set but a few figures have me perplexed, but that's for a different time. Now that I've listed much of what I think I might need, I could use some suggestions to fill it out.

I'm not a hyperdetailing guy and I do have some bits of trouble with PE unless it's basic folds. I have also been looking at a few radar array sets. Would these be crucial, or at least helpful on this build? I would like the kit to look better and I guess the radar arrays are a very visual aspect...

So other than what I just mentioned would you guys have any suggestions that could help me? I'm not looking to completely redo the kit but instead add some nice little details. Honestly I'm not sure what else I can think of. Anything I like I'll put into a wants ad on the trading forum as I don't think I'll be getting another $50 gift card anytime soon.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 - 05:50 PM UTC
Bump... It is welcome for you guys to post here..
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

To outfit your Essex I'd recommend Gold Medal Models USN WW2 Aircraft Carrier photoetch set. At less than US$20 it is a pretty good deal: http://www.goldmm.com/ships/gms7usac.htm . They also offer a set to upgrade the planes for another $8: http://www.goldmm.com/ships/gmsaairp.htm

Good luck with your flattop!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 01:49 AM UTC
Looks like Tim has you headed in the right direction Michael! Check with 3D Model Parts and see if some armament work for you...also North Star for the little guys.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 10:02 PM UTC
Thanks. I'll try to get my hands on the GMM set. I also and thinking about some Tom Modelworks sets. If I can't get one I'll try to go for the other. Also, what could I use to hold up planes in a flying position? I'm thinking thin stiff metal rods but I'm afraid they'll ruin the look of the dio I have planned. Are there any others solutions to this? I was also thinking of thin clear columns made of glass or plastic but this might be expensive and also distort the view as well.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 01:02 AM UTC
I just got the kit in today. And I'm glad ordered that Ocean Spirit 40mm quad Bofors set. Now I just need some 20mms and 5in/38 barrels. I also found out that I won't need to buy as many aircraft as I previously thought, so that's pretty good.
 _GOTOTOP