_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
AAA locations on Enterprise CV-6 late 1942
cwo-3
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 11:32 AM UTC
I am looking for drawings or pictures of the Enterprise’s AAA fit during the battle of Santa Cruz in October 1942.

According to several resources, She had 44 single 20MM mounts, 4 quad 40MM, and one 1.1” mount.

I would assume the quad 40mm mounts replaced the 1.1” mounts fore and aft of the island. The 20 mm single mounts were everywhere and I can figure this out from pictures. But where was the remaining 1.1” mount?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mike Witous
NoTime
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 05:24 PM UTC
Mike,
The 1.1" mount was in a tub on the bow. I believe the new Merit International CV-6 mistakenly has a couple of 20 mm AA there. According to one of the advisors to Merit discussing it on SteelNavy, the oval 20 mm gun tub was converted into a 1.1" tub during Enterprise's July 42 refit "by adding a semi-circular extension on the front, forming a clover leaf shape when viewed from above." He recommends using plastic stock to modify the kit part. Discussion is here:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=160334&start=60

TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 03:11 AM UTC
No, the box art has 20MMs on the bow, but the kit does not. Box art was done early and without any exposure to the team that commented on the CAD. For what it's worth, this is why the box art doesn't actually say "Santa Cruz" on it, even though the model is targeted for that time period.

One of the port side 20MMs has five guns instead of six - this was pointed out, corrected, and then accidentally reverted some how and not caught a second time. So yeah, there's at least one AA mistake.
cwo-3
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. I just spent 30 minutes going through all the comments.
cwo-3
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 06:43 AM UTC
Good info Tracy. I have sanded the hull down in preparation to cutting it down for a waterline diorama. I ordered some extra LeArsenal 20MM & quad 40MM from Freetime. Extra planes, P.E. Starship decals, Northstar figures, AK weathering paints. I just realized I have spent more money on aftermarket than I did on the kit.

Thanks
NoTime
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 08:11 PM UTC
Whoops. Failed to notice that the poster i quoted (not on Steelnavy.com, as I mistakenly stated) had not yet received his kit and was speaking generally about how to remedy the issue. So the kit does include the correct tub for the 1.1"?
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 11:09 PM UTC
It should - we mentioned it to them and they generally made the corrections (20mm commented on above aside). I haven't looked at one live yet to 100% confirm though.
 _GOTOTOP