_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
1/96 Constitution rigging thread
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Model Shipwrights: 84 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 07:47 PM UTC
I am running out of black rigging thread. I have found several websites that sell it. My ship came with small, medium and large thread. Most websites list it in 5-6 diameters. What would correlate to my small, med. and large? Any one brand recommended over another?
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:11 PM UTC
Hey Darrell,

If you can measure the thickness of the thread, you should can easily find a replacement I would think. The kit might have supplied common thread for the rigging...if so, Michael's, AC Moore or someplace comparable would carry similar threads.

Two other sourcing for rigging off the top of my head are:

Model Expo - http://www.modelexpo-online.com/search.asp?SKW=cat1_II

Syren - http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/miniature-rope.php#!/c/6029025/inview=category11571019&offset=0&sort=normal

The Syren site has a small chart at the top of the rigging page that can be downloaded and printed...might help narrow down a size you are looking for.

Good luck!
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 06:30 PM UTC
thanks. I don't know any way to measure existing thread.
burbankbill
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2015 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hello;
Mark a round dowel with 2 marks one half inch apart. Wind the thread around the dowel tight and count the turns. Then divide the number of turns into 500 wich is a half inch in decimal. The numder is the thread size in thousands of an inch. Example 25 turns divided into 500 is 20 or .020

Bill
dcook11
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 06:14 PM UTC
I assume you mean a 1/2" dowel.
burbankbill
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:05 PM UTC
Yes a half in dowel but you could use any diameter dowel just as long as you know the diameter.

Bill
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 06:31 AM UTC
You may also want to check out Cottage Industry Models website. Their cordage looks very similar to actual rope. Hope this helps out. Here's their link:
http://cottageindustrymodels.com/?page_id=153
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 07:07 AM UTC
BlueJacket Shipcrafters http://www.bluejacketinc.com has offered a meticulously researched 1/96 CONSTITUTION for decades and there are a lot more than three sizes of thread used. You could contact them and describe where the different sizes go or send them a short sample of each and they could probably provide you with what you need.

Al Ross
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:40 PM UTC
If I could make a small suggestion. I've rigged a dozen or so ship models in the past 10 years for commission builds. One of the best tricks professional shipmodelers use is to buy plain, high quality silk thread in various colors and sizes from any standard sewing shop or craft store, and then wax and cut it to suit the needs of the model. Model Expo carries wax and a threading device to wax lines. However I prefer natural beeswax I buy in a local farmers market. I've repaired a couple of ships for an insurance claim (they were damaged in a break in) which had been rigged with wax coated thread that had been in place for 50 years. With this method, you can buy as much thread as you need in any size you need for a fraction of the cost. Waxed thread is strong, and will last a long long time.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP