_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
How come nobody makes a HMS Dreadnought?
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:24 AM UTC
I was browsing around looking for naval reference photos, (found a great site for american ones btw)and a thought occured to me. Why is it nobody make a dreadnought model? It was after all one of the most influencial designs in the history of battleships. It was the first steam-turbine battleship and the first to mount an all heavy gun armament. it was more heavily armed and armored than its contemporaries yet was the fastest battleship when she first went into service. I would think that such anamazing ship would warent a at least a resin kit, but i can't seem to find any.

The site i was i found btw was http://www.navsource.org/.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:28 AM UTC
On the contrary, HP Models does/did produce a resin Dreadnought in 1/700 scale.
To address your greater point, the lack of fleet actions involving Dreadnought, including her missing Jutland, probably is a reason for the lack of demand of the ship in kit form. WWI ships are relatively late in coming to the plastic/resin model world.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 10:07 AM UTC
That's a pretty good site Scunge. Thanks for sharing. Ok, now don't get me started on what ships haven't been made into good models. How many Bismarck and Tirpitz models are there out there? How many GOOD plastic models or the ships that WON the war? It's bad enough for Battleships, but good kits of carriers, cruisers, destroyers, and subs are few and far between. I mean REALLY, there is a kit out there of a German aircraft carrier that never even sailed and we can't get a good Gato class sub except for one thirty years old in an odd scale?

Ok, ok, my rant for the day.

Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 12:54 PM UTC
here is your gato in 1/350.

http://store.yahoo.com/internethobbies/yamo1ussga19.html
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 01:34 PM UTC
Yes, but I belive that is resin and it's a bit pricey for a 10 inch long model. Might be a nice kit though.
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:50 PM UTC
I believe that there is a 1:350 scale HMS Dreadnought out there somewhere (Iron Shipwright or something...), but it's resin and a couple hundred dollars. There is a pretty good sight for card models of ships, and they have a free 1:700 scale model of the Dreadnought that you can download (a PDF that you can print out on card stock, cut up and glue together).
Something I've got in mind in the near future is a scratchbuilt 1/16" scale HMS Dreadnought. I just came upon a book, "Anatomy of the Ship: HMS Dreadnought" (about $20 on Amazon.com), and it's awsome! Every single detail is drawn out, down to the last rivet. It's chuck full of drawings and photos, technical data, and history. A scratchbuilder's dream!
I guess it probably is true that she isn't a popular subject for injection molded kit producers because of her lack of battle-hardening, but she should be since she was the ship that set the standard for all warships after her.

Todd
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:57 PM UTC
Like Halfyank "s rant, most manufactures dont listen to what the modelers want. They think they know better! Well Dang doodies! We are the ones buying these kits, I think we should know what we want! And they whould tripple there profit if they would make Different subjects rather then the same old line. We can only build so many Bismarcks.
But, I will give praise to one manufacture, Trumpeter! They listen to what modelers want to build, and we have many a good models to see in the future from this company !

OK, Rant off!

Cheers,
Garry
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a pretty good sight for card models of ships, and they have a free 1:700 scale model of the Dreadnought that you can download (a PDF that you can print out on card stock, cut up and glue together).

OK, what's the website?
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 05:30 PM UTC
Long ago and far away, Airfix made a 1/600 HMS Iron Duke. If I remember my ancient naval archetecture, she was in the first class built after the Dreadnought. If you could chase a copy of the Iron Duke down on ebay, you might be able to backdate her. At least, you'ld have a good starting place---it seems like WEM had a photoetch detail for her too.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:19 AM UTC
Sorry, Bluebear, Iron Duke wouldn't do. That would kind of be like making a New Jersey out of an Arizona. Iron Duke had all centerline turrets, Dreadnought had some wing turrets, turrets on the sides instead of centerline. The hull forms were completely different. Iron Duke was serveral classes after Dreadnought, and was the first of the "super" Dreadnoughts.

If anybody has the old Airfix Iron Duke here is a idea for a one of a kind "what if." The Iron Duke herself lasted until WWII. Her sister ship Centurian was converted into a dummy WWII King George V class ship. You could rig the kit up to look like the dummy ship. THAT would be an interesting build.
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC
Sorry about that... I was distracted by bright shiny metal objects and neglected to include the website for the ship card models. It's:

www.digitalnavy.com

Todd
 _GOTOTOP