_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
vacuum formed sails question
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 04:48 AM UTC
Does anyone have suggestions on how to make vacuum formed sails look really good? These are the type Heller sailing ship models have. Or suggestions on reasonable replacements?
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 03:31 AM UTC
Good question Biggs! Tim did a nice job on those tiny sails on the Pyro kits. I would think a linen or antique white base and some washes would work well...maybe a combination for shading where the seams are. There are a couple of manufacturers of cloth sails for wooden ships...all depends on what you want to put into the build.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 06:20 AM UTC
Yes, my HMS Victory from Heller has those thermo-formed sails. I'm thinking of getting some cloth material from a local fabric store to make my sails. I found a color called "Parchment" that I really like. It's actually a light brown color (not pure white). I think with the cloth "pre-colored" it might take some paint washes better, and give the model a somewhat weathered appearance. I'll probably try to find some bendable wire that is already wrapped in thread and glue that to the sail material. That way, you can form the sails to your liking, and they should keep their shape. Good luck!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:09 PM UTC
I tried using cloth once, but it's usually too thick and looks out of scale; especially when you have to hem the edges (and I'm not too good at sewing!) to prevent fraying. The model I'm building is Heller "le Corsair", in 1/150 scale. A relatively large scale as I usually model in 1/700, or 1/350, but a small ship as it's only around 7" long. Two masts with six sails.
http://www.oldmodelkits.com/jpegs/Heller%2080616%20Corsairex.jpg
Guess I'll see what I can do with the kit sails.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 08:52 PM UTC
I am thinking you will do just fine with the kit sails my friend! On a test piece of plastic sheet...or even white paper, try feathering in dark to light varying tones of tan to white. Darker around edges and where you you want seams and then apply thin, almost translucent white tones over. Should give you a nice effect...if you want it lighter, add another layer or two. Best of luck!!
smithrp
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 11:19 PM UTC
My thoughts on sails are this. Sails up are extremely hard to reproduce to look good. Vacuum formed sails look frozen in time. They don't look right. cloth or some other material can look out of scale, but can have the illusion of weight hanging there, Also sails up means the ship is under way, so you are going to have to depict it with all the necessary items to look like it is at sea, like sailors, wet water splashed around etc. A ship on a stand under full sail looks frozen in time. A ship with the sails down and rolled up along the yardarms would not only look better but would be a lot easier to model. sitting on a stand with sails down means it would not need all the support stuff to look like it is under way. It would not need and sailors, etc on board. Plus sails up blocks you view to see all the detail the model has, like rigging, masts etc, and full view of the deck.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 10:59 PM UTC
I've got most of that covered with a "water" base planned, ship heeling slightly to starboard as she comes around in a turn, as a potential target has been sighted. Totally manned and gun crews at the ready by N scale (1/144) RR workmen. And, yes, the workmen will be converted to 17th or 18th Cen pirates. . Pirate flag being designed (as there were many variations on old "Jolly Roger"). Arghhh...Keelhaul the cabin-boy! Scuttle me kippers! Damn the torpedoes!??
 _GOTOTOP