_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Small Scale US Sailoers
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 219 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi Everybody,
After posting last night I searched the web again last night and found several US sailor sets by Shapeways.com in 1/144 scale. They are 3D printed. There were sets in WWII dungarees with Dixie cup hats (set 1), combat poses in life jackets and helmets (set 2), and modern uniforms (set 3). There are 30 different poses in each set. I've ordered a set of the combat poses. The pictures show poses for seated 40mm gunners as well as 20mm and 50 cal gunners, loaders, ammo handlers and many other standing poses. I don't consider myself qualified to do a formal review but I'll give you my thoughts when I receive them.
Thanks
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Everybody,
After posting last night I searched the web again last night and found several US sailor sets by Shapeways.com in 1/144 scale. They are 3D printed. There were sets in WWII dungarees with Dixie cup hats (set 1), combat poses in life jackets and helmets (set 2), and modern uniforms (set 3). There are 30 different poses in each set. I've ordered a set of the combat poses. The pictures show poses for seated 40mm gunners as well as 20mm and 50 cal gunners, loaders, ammo handlers and many other standing poses. I don't consider myself qualified to do a formal review but I'll give you my thoughts when I receive them.
Thanks

Hi Guys,
I'm not an experienced reviewer so please take these comments with a grain of salt. I received the figures within a few days of ordering with the figures well packaged so good customer service by Shapeways. Here's a photo of the figures. I'm not a photographer so I recommend you also look at their website. The photos on Shapeways' website are clearer.

[img]http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/thumbs/DSCF1070_-_Copy.JPG" BORDER="0">/image.file[/img]

I hope I got that photo loaded right.

This is my first experience with 3D printed figures. The white color of the printing material makes it difficult to see some of the details but a thin coat of primer should fix that. The molded detail is visible under a magnifier with life jackets, hands, and carried articles (e.g. ammo, binoculars) well defined. The standing figures measure out at 12mm so the scale looks to be spot on. I've also placed a couple of the figures up against the deck cabin wall piece of the USS Tacoma kit that I believe is 1/131 scale. The molded railing stanchions on the roof come to the waist line of a standing figure so those may be used if desired. The cabin door is a little taller that the figure but if you use 1/144 brass doors this issue can be minimized. The bottom lip of the door is ankle high which is what I experienced in touring the USS Kidd. All of the poses are different providing a good variety for positioning around the ship. I'm well pleased with the figures and I recommend them to those who want to add extra detail to the 1/144ish scale ships.
Thanks
John
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 08:55 AM UTC
Try again

[img]http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/thumbs/DSCF1070_-_Copy.JPG/image.file" BORDER="0">
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 08:57 AM UTC
Well, screwed the pooch again. The link works though to take you to my kitmaker gallery photo. Hope it helps.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 08:30 PM UTC
I ordered a set of these too, for my Revell Fletcher. Just wish they also had Kriegsmarine figures for 1/144 U-Boats, and RN crew for future release Snowberry corvette. I have to make do with Preiser figs.
 _GOTOTOP