_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Eduard PE set - can it benefit from additiona
Tracklink75
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 01:43 AM UTC
Perhaps this has been asked before but here goes: I have the Eduard 1:350 PE sets for the Revell Bismarck and in looking through my references (the Anatomy book and others), I notice missing details not covered by the Eduard sets. Now my question is whether anyone can suggest a complementary set with enough additional detail to complement the Eduard sets. Naturally not too expensive. Or are the Eduard sets more than enough? Thanks!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi Vivian,

Not used the Bismarck set, but have the sets for the Admiral Hipper and the Z25. Biggest issue I have seen with those two is lack of parts for the light AA, but they do extra also sets for that, and watertight doors and cable reels etc. (These sets are relatively cheap) If you want to push the boat out a bit the Veteran Models German light AA guns are very good.

Odd that they include figures but not generic extra details in the "Big ed" sets.

To be honest no upgrade set covers every detail. I have the Pontos set for my Bismarck, which is probably the most comprehensive set in one box, and with the references I have (Including AOTS) I have still found stuff to scratchbuild.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy your build.

Cheers.

Si

Tracklink75
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 06:12 PM UTC
Yes, I have the Big Ed set and just discovered, to my dismay, the lack of the rectangular "porthole" hatches. Does anyone know of a source for these hatches, as found on the second deck and other spots? It's really a big omission.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 07:42 PM UTC
Check Gold Metal Model site. They post pictures of their PE so you can check to see if their set comes with the items you need.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 08:38 PM UTC
Not a big fan of Tom's Modelworks, but they do make some useful sets. This might work - http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_27&products_id=404

Tracklink75
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:53 PM UTC
Thanks, but now I already ordered WEM 35079 - would that be ok too?
https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+1350+Kriegsmarine+Portholes+Doors+PE+35079/5285/#.Wb61fsZryUk

Quoted Text

Not a big fan of Tom's Modelworks, but they do make some useful sets. This might work - http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_27&products_id=404

Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 11:01 PM UTC
Yes, the WEM PE will work just fine.

I use them when needed.
 _GOTOTOP