_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Heller's Corsair
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 04:12 AM UTC
Ahoy, matey's! Not one to outdone by his betters, and being inspired by Tim's Chinese Junk (as opposed to Chinese junk ), I've been slaving away for the last couple of weeks on Heller's 1/160 "Corsair". It's a Heller of a lot better than their more modern warships! And not a bad kit for $15 - $16. I added some spindle railing, by Grandt Line, along the stern railing, and some eyelets for the rigging, some brass blocks (as none were included), and a windlass to make dropping and weighing the anchor easier for my crew. My bloodthirsty crew is waiting on shore, and I have the sails to add. This is my first attempt at a rigged sailing ship, and probably my last, as my ship's maiden voyage was very nearly sailing across the room several times.

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 04:44 AM UTC
Well done Biggs...and nicely presented! I'm on the fence with the sails...like them furled and out... still looking forward to seeing them get added! Best of luck!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 04:47 AM UTC
Probably finished this weekend.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 04:49 AM UTC
Very cool. Looking forward to the crew being added. It will really bring it to life.

cheers

Michael
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 01:00 PM UTC
Wow! looks great. I too am doing this build, so this is very good inspiration. BTW, do you know if these ships were used by pirates, and if so, only in the European waters? It would look way cool with a Jolly Roger.
Jacob
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 06:46 PM UTC
Wow, she's looking great! The Corsair's sleek lines are especially evident without the sails, and I like very much how your rolling sea came out. She's gonna be a stunning predator whether you decide to go for an at anchor or underway scene.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 08:42 PM UTC
Thanks, guys! The lateen sails and rig place it in the Mediterranean, but I wouldn't be surprised if similar vessels were seen in the Caribbean as well. And there were plenty of pirates in both seas. This ship is definitely getting a "Jolly Roger"!
 _GOTOTOP