_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
The Light Cruiser SMS Emden
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 10:00 PM UTC
Darren Baker takes a look at a new title from Kagero covering the The Light Cruiser SMS Emden.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Dr_Who2
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 90 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 11:56 PM UTC
Hi to all,

If anyone needs accurate plans, this http://hamecher.hescomshop.de/detail/50093AB/ is in my humble opinion the best one can obtain.

Hth
Tailor
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 09:48 AM UTC
I am not a stickler for accuracy when it comes to model building, but if a "reference" hits the market, it should be spot on, I think. Here's why I won't buy it: Neither Emden nor Dresden did not have full wood decks (and it-'s very obvious looking at contemporary photographs). German light cruisers of the time usually did have leoleum mats glued to their decks. Wood was only used in a few certain places. Glaring mistake on behalf the author. I wonder what else he got wrong then...
Just sayin'!

Guido
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 04:09 PM UTC
Understandable Guido, accuracy when it comes to references is kind of a must. While I am not sure if and or when as well as actually where the linoleum sections would have been applied, I do know there were wooden decks down at the time of Dresden's demise. I am inclined to think the bow was covered with a combination of steel and linoleum cladding though. - http://atlantic-cable.com/Article/1914BattleOfCocos/index.htm
Tailor
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2016 - 10:01 AM UTC
Indeed I should have said more preciselsy that fore and poop deck were covered with linoleum. I remember clearly reading that these had to be scraped off the decks getting the ship ready for combat due to the fire hazard. Which is backed by this photo:

and

Otherwise I am agreat fan of the series.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 02:58 PM UTC
I know they do come close in the books for the most part. At least they give a decent representation and walk around view to some ships which are otherwise stagnant in old black and white pics. Probably, they could have added one more layer to the rendering incorporating the lino decks, not a hard thing to do!
 _GOTOTOP