_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Mini Hobby 30CM Tirpitz?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:29 AM UTC
I saw this kit listed on ebay. What does 30CM indicate? I know 30CM is about 12 inches. Does that mean the kit is 12 inches long? Or what? Is this the 1/350 scale kit like the Bismarck from the same company or is it 1/700, or what?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hey Rodger,
That has to be the 1/350 Tirpitz. Mini hobbie does not list a 1/700 Tirpitz or Bismarck. I have seen there 1/350 Bismarck, a good copy of the Tamiya kit. Even the instructions !
I see that Mini hobbie is bringing out a 1/700 Arizona though!

Have a good day!

Garry
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I see that Mini hobbie is bringing out a 1/700 Arizona though!

Hmmm... I wonder if it's a rebox of the DML Arizona, which I wouldn't mind having at all.

Thanks for the info on Mini Hobbies and the Bismarck. I figured it had to be but I wasn't sure. I wonder why they call it 30CM?
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 06:02 AM UTC
30cm is a "box scale". All of the models are designed to fit in the same size box. I guess that this is so they keep their costs down since they can use the same injection machine for all of their kits and the same size boxes for shipping. Who knows. Some Asian companies release these, so Mini-Hobbies may just be re-releasing a kit from another manufacturer. But yes, the kit is 30cm long, or about 12". I've seen a few of these kits at a local hobby store and they don't look too appealing.

Todd
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

30cm is a "box scale". All of the models are designed to fit in the same size box. I guess that this is so they keep their costs down since they can use the same injection machine for all of their kits and the same size boxes for shipping. Who knows. Some Asian companies release these, so Mini-Hobbies may just be re-releasing a kit from another manufacturer. But yes, the kit is 30cm long, or about 12". I've seen a few of these kits at a local hobby store and they don't look too appealing.

We seem to have a disagreement here. I saw the 1/350 scale Mini Hobby Bismarck at Hobby Lobby yesterday and the thing was huge. The box was about 36 inches wide, by 12 inches by 3 inches. For the kit to be 12 inches that sounds more like 1/700 scale which doesn't jibe with what Garry says. Anybody know for sure?

foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 06:25 AM UTC
The 30cm scale kits I saw were from another manufacturer. I cannot attest to Mini-Hobby producing a 30cm kit, although I have seen their 1:350 Bismarck, which is (for lack of a better term) a "rip off" of the Tamiya kit.

Todd
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 02:42 PM UTC
foxroe,
Being a "rip off" is not all that bad. Most people complain about Tamiya being so pricy...the MiniHobby Model is for all of us poor plastic-aholics:)

Sean
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

foxroe,
Being a "rip off" is not all that bad. Most people complain about Tamiya being so pricy...the MiniHobby Model is for all of us poor plastic-aholics:)

Sean

The mini hobby Tirpitz is a copy of the Tamiya kit. The molding is not as crisp, and the plastic seems to be thicker, but it is a good bargain !
And they are to soon reliese there (Tamiya version) CV-65 Enterprise in 1/350 scale. For about 75 US Dollers less than the Tamiya kit. But I would like to see a review on this one before I invested in one!

Just some thoughts,

Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 04:06 PM UTC

.....perhaps 'cm' stands for 'curious measurement'?

Tread. #:-)
 _GOTOTOP