_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEW KITS FROM TRUMPETER
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 222 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 03:29 AM UTC
New 1/350 kits from Trumpeter -

French battleships Strasbourg. Dunquerque.
DKM cruiser Blucher, DKM Carriers Graf Zepplin, Peter Strasser
Italian cruisers - Zara, Fiume,Zara, Gorizia

USA Carrier - USS Ranger 1942, USS Ranger 1944.

RN Battleships - Nelson & Rodney.

Finally - 1/200 HMS Hood test shots

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 04:09 AM UTC
Well, if it really happens,I would have to snag a Graf Zepplin.But still no WWII German Commerce Raider.
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 04:35 AM UTC
I wouldn't mind snagging the USS Ranger
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 05:02 AM UTC
okay, I'm going to be sour grapes here:

Not one, but two kits of DKM carriers in the catalogue that never made it out of the shipyard, but still no RN flat top in 1/350?

Seriously, C'mon! The RN was one of the foremost pioneers of naval aviation and to have been overlooked in favour of two 'never were's' is an absolute disgrace!

Sure there are test shots of a 1/350 Ark Royal floating around the net, but how long until we see that kit materialise?

And if Rodney is 1944 fit, then how is it anything other than a re-box of the Nelson?
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 05:50 AM UTC
Nelson/Rodney - Only one of them has a year date version.
I'm not a student of the class but I'll only be buying one of them.

RE: Ark Royal - it may be within the pages of that same catalogue but whoever posted the pics only posted what we can see,I guess this was because they wanted to show the previously unannounced kits first.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Dave

don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go...

the 2016-2017 catalogue is available to see on-line and there's no sign of the Ark in there or any other RN flat top for that matter. It only just came to my attention that the two DKM flat tops were-you don't see what you're not looking for

Anyway's it just irks me how, even though the RN had one of the largest fleets of WWII and the largest of WWI and yet are seriously under represented in styrene even though they led the way in many areas of ship evolution.

I'll probably reign in my aggravation should Rodney be in 1941 fit, but we'll have to wait and see
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:34 AM UTC
Well, well...on one hand I am entirely with Russ here - was looking forward to any RN flattop so much
On the other hand - I can't help, but that will hurt my funds in 2016 - Nelson and Rodney are a MUST for me, can't help it. I only hope they will come in different versions (late and early). And yes, I will go for the Graf Zeppelin, but not the second DKM carrier. And - I have to admit I was hoping for a Blücher for quite q while - so that's a very nice surprise...

Just start saving some money...

Cheers,

Jan
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 02:36 PM UTC
Guys, I get it about the Ark. I'm surprised to hear that it isn't listed at all. That said, I'm not really a fan of bird farms.

Russ - where can I find the catalogue online?

NelRod? I'll just be having one or the other, depending upon year.

I'll have a Blucher too, so long as they have highlighted the many differences between her and her sisters. I was rather hoping for a Graf Spee follow-up in the form of an Admiral Scheer with the raked funnel - maybe next time eh!

You see, I have this mad idea for a WIF - "DKM Fleet Week" where WW2 didn't happen. and the Kriegsmarine held their annual Fleet Week, with Tirpitz, Bismarck, Prinz Eugen, Hipper, Graf Spee, Scharnhorst, all the Z class destroyers and the AFV Club U boats I have in my stash actually get built and displayed moored up together in a dockside dio!

Now to find a room big enough!
elmarriachi
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 813 posts
Model Shipwrights: 304 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 06:41 PM UTC
It seems that Trumpeter read my dreams.... Graf Zeppelin..... I dreamed about that so long .... now it comes..... (I hoped for a 1/200 Graf Zeppelin, but 1/350 is also ok)....
The Blücher is also fantastic... I hope that they do a good job with her ....
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 07:12 PM UTC
German 'What If' subjects seemed to have been steadily growing in popularity over the years, starting with aircraft models, then armor and now the never built carriers (I myself just recently bought a Revell 1/144 Type XXI U-boat).

I also lament the lack of RN carriers in 1/350. Carrier warfare is expressed in modeling of Pacific theater subjects of US and IJN carriers even though RN carriers were also there and it was an RN carrier that did the first ever carrier based raid on an enemy harbor a year before Pearl Harbor.

Hopefully the 1/350 Ark Royal will be well received and we can get an Illustrious and Furious.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC
As for the French battlecruisers,I'm glad I am not far along on my Oran project! I wonder what my Heller pair would fetch on the secondary market?

--Karl
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:51 PM UTC
Would have preferred a 41 or 42 Rodney, but good stuff, I just hope the Italian heavies are new tooling.

Now can we have some British Cruisers please!

Cheers

Si

sunnsea
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 12:11 AM UTC
I couldn't agree with you more.........while I applaud the introduction of the French & Italian ships as well as the Ranger, I just don't understand the logic of a Graf Zeppelin.
We will see about the Ark Royal (maybe its being introduced under the Merit or Hobby Boss label) but not to have an Illustrious class CV is a travesty.
The same could be said for a county class or Dido class cruiser; Baltimore and Northampton class CA's, Cleveland class CL's, FNS Montcalm and so many more that actually participated in the conflict.

Regards,
Mike
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 07:00 AM UTC
More Trumpeter stuff -

1/48 Type 7C U Boat.

1/350 Littorio & Vittorio veneto BBs.
1/350 Pittsburgh & Baltimore CAs, both 1944.

HobbyBoss -

1/350 Lord Nelson & Agamemnon.
1/350 SMS Seyditz
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 08:14 AM UTC
Sorry for my earlier outbursts folks put it down to a bad day at work and frustration with what's released and what's not... agree with all comments here-there are many overlooked ships worthy of release, not just RN flat tops...

Let's just hope the plating on Trumpy's 1/350 Rodney/Nelson is not as overcooked as their 1/200 version... I'll be holding onto my money until I see some reviews and whether or not Rodney is released in 1941 fit
The plating on their 1/200 hood is a little worrisome too if these test shots posted Sighbeerguy are anything to go by...

On a brighter note these pics were taken at the recent Japan model and toy show, with what looks to be Ark Royal in 1/350...

on the lower shelf second from left...

Cheers all round methinks!
sunnsea
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 10:22 AM UTC
No need to apologize Russell.........earlier I posted similar concerns on the MW site. I carried it a step further by questioning the modeling fraternities being constantly enamored by anything that flew, floated, or moved on tracks produced by Nazi Germany.
I'm sure by tomorrow I'll get my butt handed to me!
To each his own I guess.

Regards,
Mike
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 12:11 PM UTC
I agree with Russell.

Maybe if we all vote with our wallets and stay away from the what-if German targets Trumpeter may just get the picture and release the Ark sooner..

Or could it be that like a few other releases the Ark Royal, in 1/350 scale, will be released before any of these subjects? Would appear a huge waste of time and money to go to the effort of producing all the moulds etc for the Ark Royal and then letting a sure money spinner sit around for years.

Have faith Russell.

BTW, what is so bad about the 1/200 Nelson?

Maybe if I ever finish the Snowberry I may buy another 1/200 Trumpeter project..
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 06:59 PM UTC
Guys, a rep at the UK Trumpeter importers stand at SMW 2015 Telford confirmed that a 1/350 Ark Royal is coming but he didn't know when.

Relax! It'll be here sooner or later.

Personally, whilst many of us here aren't interested, I can see why they've done a DKM 46' with the carriers, because as Dragon have found out, it makes money.

It sure looks like good news for anyone who is into building a WW2 Italian RM fleet, what with the Roma already out there, two more BBs and three RM CAs.

Same for those who have been crying out for US CAs. The Alaska class from Merit, and now the Pittsburgh & Baltimore CAs on the way, and then there's the burgeoning numbers of new US carriers.

Surely there has to be something which floats your boat among that lot.

My two gotta-gets are the Rodney and the Blucher. If the final version of the 1/200 Hood comes out nice, I might even sell up my 1/350 stash and focus my twilight years on that kit alone.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:39 AM UTC
Looking at those 1/200 Hood test shot pics, I didn't know the Hood was clinker-built... Yikes!

--Karl
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 01:29 AM UTC
Have to agree!

'Over-emphasised' would be the PC term!

How feasible is it for them to tone it down a bit? How much modding of molds would have to take place before we got it down to something akin to reasonable??

It would be a shame if the 'flagship kit' of their 1/200 fleet - for that is what I believe it is - was spoilt by this.

The 1/200 Hood has had a long incubation for whatever reason and we have seen other 1/200 kits released before it even though the Hood was announced long before they appeared.

The hull plating on Minicraft's 1/350 Titanic I have is the same, yet the Lusitania kit I also have is much more 'real-life' looking.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No need to apologize Russell.........earlier I posted similar concerns on the MW site. I carried it a step further by questioning the modeling fraternities being constantly enamored by anything that flew, floated, or moved on tracks produced by Nazi Germany.
I'm sure by tomorrow I'll get my butt handed to me!
To each his own I guess.

Regards,
Mike

Good luck Mike-I think you're onto something there Could it be the same fascination with the Italian fleet that never really left harbour?
BTW, I'd love to see the Illustrious class in 1/350 too!

Quoted Text

I agree with Russell.

Maybe if we all vote with our wallets and stay away from the what-if German targets Trumpeter may just get the picture and release the Ark sooner..

Or could it be that like a few other releases the Ark Royal, in 1/350 scale, will be released before any of these subjects? Would appear a huge waste of time and money to go to the effort of producing all the moulds etc for the Ark Royal and then letting a sure money spinner sit around for years.

Have faith Russell.

BTW, what is so bad about the 1/200 Nelson?

Maybe if I ever finish the Snowberry I may buy another 1/200 Trumpeter project..

The hull plating's really over done Warren
Don't worry-I'll be voting with my wallet

Quoted Text

Have to agree!

'Over-emphasised' would be the PC term!

How feasible is it for them to tone it down a bit? How much modding of molds would have to take place before we got it down to something akin to reasonable??

It would be a shame if the 'flagship kit' of their 1/200 fleet - for that is what I believe it is - was spoilt by this.

The 1/200 Hood has had a long incubation for whatever reason and we have seen other 1/200 kits released before it even though the Hood was announced long before they appeared.

The hull plating on Minicraft's 1/350 Titanic I have is the same, yet the Lusitania kit I also have is much more 'real-life' looking.

It's not that hard to tone down Dave. The recessed panels are raised on the tooling, so it is just a matter of machining them down a bit.

Let's hope it doesn't stay 'clinker built' style like the 1/200 Nelson

I've got the minicraft Titanic in the stash, and yup the plating's pretty severe on that too, but I'll forgive them, given the age of the tooling...

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

More Trumpeter stuff -

1/48 Type 7C U Boat.

1/350 Littorio & Vittorio veneto BBs.
1/350 Pittsburgh & Baltimore CAs, both 1944.

HobbyBoss -

1/350 Lord Nelson & Agamemnon.
1/350 SMS Seyditz

Now there's some interesting releases from Hobby boss-I think these will definitely find their way into the stash!
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:12 PM UTC
Merit catalogue news - "New items are two versions of 1/200 IJN Mikasa, and 1/350 WW2 HMS Ark Royal."

Quoted from another site, but it may explain why Ark Royal is not listed in the Trumpeter catalogue.

So, if anyone fancies the task of looking, and can read/understand Chinese, somewhere out there on one of their modelling boards is the full Merit catalogue.

Ark Royal IS coming, we just don't know when.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 09:04 PM UTC
Thanks Dave! Please provide the name or link to the "other site". Translation of the Chinese characters should not be and issue. If you have the link to the actual catalog somewhere, that would be equally helpful. There was nothing listed in the Merit International product catalog on their site and all I found online for information was one picture of some armor from that unauthorized Trumpeter/Hobby Boss Facebook page.

To all...if you would like to check out he full Trumpeter catalog for 2016-2017 go here---- http://scalemodels.ru/news/9587-katalog-Trumpeter-2016-2017.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I did notice there is a bit of a difference in items listed as "New" in the catalog. Items that have been announced to be released by Trumpeter before the catalog and through their official website are in the standard box art colored pics with the "new" labeling on the corner. The items that appear to fall under what I would consider proposed releases, which in the past have not made it to the shelves, are black and white photographs of the ships and have a watermarking for a web-based store and forum called MXFans.cn. Being that the pictures are specifically watermarked to this company, I personally guess they originate adding them to the catalog. The Rodney, Nelson and DKM carriers, to mention a few, are these watermarked items.

My fingers are still crossed for the fans of the RN...I feel for you all! 7 years...closing in on 8, is a long time to be teased about the arrival of the Ark!!
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 06:08 AM UTC
Todd, I would post a link to the item, but they don't like me over there! (MWS)

I received an emailed copy of a post made by a guy called Hanchang Kuo,who wrote:

"Saw Merit's new ship releases on a page of Merit's 2016-2017 catalog on a Chinese board the other day. But for the life of me I can't seem to re-locate the image. New items are two versions of 1/200 IJN Mikasa, and 1/350 WW2 HMS Ark Royal."

Mr Kuo has during previous years, been an impeccable source of new release news, so I have no reason to doubt the content of what he posts.

So much for the mystery of why the Ark Royal isn't in the Trumpeter catalog!
 _GOTOTOP