_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350th scale 'Lindberg' Tirpitz
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:14 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Was down at my LHS scoping out possible contenders for the supposedly coming Warship Campaign, and came across a fairly large box at the bottom of the stack of ship kits. It was the right scale (for me), and quite possibly the right ship, the german battleship Tirpitz, and it was definitely the right price, $20.95! But...it was made by Lindberg.
Now, I'm not neccesarily saying anything bad about Lindberg or anything, but $20.95!?!

Anybody have any input on this kit. It couldn't possibly be the deal it looks like can it?

Tread.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC
Tread, I don't know about the Lindberg Tirpitz but the old Lindberg kits were motorized toys. Their HOOD was a hunk of plastic made to move through the water that just happened to resemble the real HOOD. it had a big hole in the quaterdeck where the on off switch was. The aft section of the deck was also made to be removed so you could get to the gears that controled the ships course, straight, circle, figure 8. All in all the kit was a joke. Now their Tirpitz might not be like this but look around to see if you can find a review on it.

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, and I think you do, then try the Mini Hobby Bismarck. The only major difference between the two, that I know of, is the Tirpitz had a set of torpedo tubes on each side about midships. You should be able to scratchbuild that. I was at Hobby Lobby last night and the Mini Hobby Bismarck was $39.99, after the half off coupon only $20.

As to your not so veiled hint about the "supposedly" coming warship campaign I applied for it again yesterday and I'm still waiting to here from the powers that be.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC
Howdy Rodger,

Thx for the 'Lindberg' input. I didn't see any reference on the box regarding motorization. I tried to find a date stamp to help me figure out how old the bloody thing was...no luck. But, apparently Lindberg is no owned by a japanese firm, because the box info was almost entirely written in Japanese. Cometo think of it, I think the only thing in English was the word 'Lindberg'!

Mini Hobby Bismark huh?........good thinking there. Didn't Garry say it was just a reboxed Tammy kit? And, are sure about the torpedo tubes being the only difference? Becuase if that's the case, with the Hobby Lobby sale going on, I might be motivated to pick up TWO ship kits. The Bismark and the Arizona I saw.

Tread.

Oh, BTW, the "supposedly" remark wasn't meant for you, it was meant for the 'powers-that-be'. Starnge you haven't heard word 'one' yet.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 04:08 AM UTC
The Linberg Tirpitz. Best way to build this kit is to save the instructions, throw the kit away and scratch build one! LOL! Realy, it is a bathtub toy, not worthy of building. The Mini Hobbie kit is a much better investment. And like Rodger said, with hobby lobby 50% off coupon, its quite a good deal!

HTH,
Garry
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 11:40 AM UTC
Howdy Garry,

Thx for your personal 'Engineering' comments regarding the Lindberg Tirpitz!
I chose not to indulge in the "bathroom toy",and instead went for the Mini Hobby Bismark, that I will build into the Tirpitz.
I will be sharing my recent GOOD news over on SonOfAVet's 'Bismark' thread if it's OK with him. (You won't believe the deal I got).
So....please just ignore this whole averted 'Lindberg' faux pas.......thx
foxroe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC
Excellent shopping choice! I was "fortunate" enough to have once received the Lindberg Tirpitz as a gift. I figured "what the hell", and started building it. Mistake. While I don't care as much about detail, I can't stand inaccuracy. It vaguely resembles the Bismarck. If you squint, it looks like a canoe. It isn't worth the fircrackers you would be compelled to stuff into it afterwards... IMHO.

Todd
 _GOTOTOP