_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
SMS Lützow (Flyhawk 1/700)
Thorst
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 36 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 03:09 PM UTC
Hi,

this is my first ship model since I was a kid. I always found ship models to be either too pricy with all the PE, or too toylike. When I heard that Flyhawk produces affordable kits with all the basic PE already included, I knew I need to build one. So here I am with the SMS Lützow in 1/700. I ordered the book "German Battlecruisers of World War One" by Gary Staff as a reference:

Before building the ship itself, I wanted to make the base ready with some model water. I loosely followed a YouToube-tutorial by "Plastikschmiede". The ship's hull was glued together and 5mm plastic sheet were added below the waterline. Some nuts were glued into the hull to give a strong connection to the base.

The base itself started as a piece of wood cut to fit inside one of Trumpeter's large display boxes. Styrene sheet was added to the sides with the same 5mm extending over the surface that I added to the hull. The hull was coated with vaseline and screwed to the board. Sand was filled into the box and fixed with thinned white glue, which unfortunately did not produce the strong bond I had hoped for.

To give it more strength, I added a thin layer of plaster and a single layer of a paper towel. Then it was painted in blue (Vallejo model air 087, mixed with some 056 Panzer grey in some places).

Afterwards, about five layers of Schmincke Acrylic Painting Medium were brushed on top, which gives a really nice glossy surface. Then I used some cotton wool to add foam, followed by more Acrylic Medium.

This is the current status of the base:

Now the ship itself has to be built.

Best regards,
Thorsten

Thorst
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 03:22 PM UTC
I started with glueing together the casemate deck.

The boat racks between the funnels are molded solid. I chose to rebuild them from .25mm plastic card.

The other area of the kit I was not completely happy with are the funnels.
There is an error in the instructions: Lützow had a curve in the forward funnel. It is included in the kit as part E41. It has to be used instead of part E37. Also, the part E36 has to be substituted with E42 to fit the other funnel.

The molded on rails look a bit toy-like.

I sanded them off and tried to rebuild them with sprue stretched to very thin wire. First, the steps were glued on the funnels.

Then a longer piece was wound around and fixed with some glue.

The ladders were added in the same way. Both funnels together took me an entire day.

This is the current status of my Lützow.

Best regards,
Thorsten
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 02:21 AM UTC
Great choice there Thorsten! I have this one on the shelf myself...Flyhawk makes fantastic kits! Looks like you're off to an excellent start! Love the base!! Looking forward to following along with the build!!
Thorst
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 03:12 AM UTC
Thanks Todd! I agree, the kit is excellent!
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 09:04 AM UTC
Nice comeback to shipbuilding Thorsten!
Since it's a battlecruiser you should sign up for The Cruiser Campaign.

cheers
Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 10:33 AM UTC
Great start Thorsten and a fantastic subject!! Very nice work on the base, and your attention to detail - the way you approach the stacks - is amazing. I'm in and watching with interest!!

Cheers,
Jan
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 10:37 PM UTC
Thorsten,

Exceptional work! I just found this and wish I had earlier. I am building Derfflinger OOB.

What are the pipes around the stacks?

I'll be watching your work.
 _GOTOTOP