_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Support Vessels
Non-combat support vessels of any type and post-sail.
Hosted by Harry
RoG 1:144 Flower Class Corvette Kit:5132
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 02:09 PM UTC
Well according to plastik-modellbau.org, looks like the Revell Corvette will
be released in May 2016.

They are showing different artwork than originally shown last
year of the same ship.

Original artwork from 2015 announcement

http://www.plastik-modellbau.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/05132-Flower-Class-Corvette-early-400x304.jpg

New artwork from 2016 announcement

http://www.plastik-modellbau.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/05132-HMCS-Snowberry-400x293.jpg

See bottom of page:

http://www.plastik-modellbau.org/blog/revell-neuheiten-2016/2016/

Happy New Year!
Cheers,
Joe

Rimfireroscoe
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 51 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:41 AM UTC
Nice find Joe.

One thing is that is not any flower early as they are claiming but a Flower Mod* unfortunately totally different structure - still getting a pair though

Bellow from wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower-class_corvette#

"The original Flowers had the standard RN layout, consisting of a raised forecastle, a well deck, then the bridge or wheelhouse, and a continuous deck running aft. The crew quarters were in the foc'sle while the galley was at the rear, making for poor messing arrangements.[9]

The modified Flowers saw the forecastle extended aft past the bridge to the aft end of the funnel, a variation known as the "long forecastle" design. Apart from providing a very useful space where the whole crew could gather out of the weather, the added weight improved the ships' stability and speed and was retroactively applied to a number of the original Flower-class vessels during the mid and latter years of the war.

The original Flowers had a mast located immediately forward the bridge, a notable exception to naval practice at that time. The modified Flowers saw the mast returned to the normal position immediately aft of the bridge; however, this does not seem to have been done in all of the modified builds or conversions of the original vessels."
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

Yes you are right...Revell states that the release is of an
early corvette but both illustrations are of a later(1943)
conversion. There were numerous modifications.

We will have to wait and see.

Cheers,
Joe

Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 04:53 AM UTC
Many thanks, Joe, for this info.

The major feature for early Flowers is the short focsle and neither artwork shows that. As you've said, we'll have to wait and see.
mag135
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 146 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 06:29 PM UTC
Well...Snowberry is an early flower, built in Canada for the RN, and updated in 1943 with a foc'sle extensión, new bridge and other fittings, not a "modified flower".
Aurora-7
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
Model Shipwrights: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 07:55 PM UTC
By 'modified' I mean 'updated'. RN made by or made for differed from RCN Flowers in that they had a different stern (more narrow) and had no mine sweeping gear as the RCN Flowers did along with several other differences.

For either an RCN or RN Flower to be labeled as 'early' to me, is to be with the short fore-castle.
mag135
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 146 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 10:58 PM UTC
What I don't understand is why Snowberry...again?... There are very beautiful corvettes with short forecastle to make, and not a long one again. One of my favourites, HMCS Nanaimo, her forecastle remained unchanged along the war.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I don't understand is why Snowberry...again?... There are very beautiful corvettes with short forecastle to make, and not a long one again. One of my favourites, HMCS Nanaimo, her forecastle remained unchanged along the war.

It makes perfect sense to release a smaller scale Snowberry as many people haven't got the room for a 1/72 corvette. They can always release a shorty later.
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It makes perfect sense to release a smaller scale Snowberry as many people haven't got the room for a 1/72 corvette. They can always release a shorty later.

I agree completely with this. 1/144 is opening great opportunities. We now have a coulpe of subs in this class aswell as the FLetcher DD, one Landing Ship Medium and also a few fast boats aswell as some other stuff. This scale has a great potential for destroyers, light cruisers and such. I hope Revell will do the Tribal class and maybe the SMS Emden/Dresden in this case. How cool would be a fleet of ww1 Light Cruisers in this scale!
 _GOTOTOP