_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
help please
johnmallam
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 98 posts
Model Shipwrights: 61 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:05 PM UTC
Hello i am building ijn kaga 1/350 by funimi i also brought the g up sets that complement the kit . My problem is when the wooden deck is down instead of the lines on the deck being tranfers it seems i have a stencil sheet with the lines cut out . I have never used this type of thing before and eould like some advice please ie do i seal the wooden deck before i put the stencils in place if so what do i use and if anyone has done it before what products should i use please ,as i said never done this before and i dont want to mess it up thanks for your time nohn
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 01:40 AM UTC
I would seal the wooden deck with something before using the stencils. That should prevent any bleeding under the stencil.

Note that this is just a suggestion. I am not speaking from experience.

FWIW
RedDuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hi John,

Grant has the right of it, I have learned the hard way, even if using waterslide or rub down decals, seal the deck.

I fitted the deck first and then used a clear gloss acrylic, Tamiya TS13 (I think) and laid down about 5 or 6 mist coats, nothing to wet, or the deck may well lift.

Once I had finished the deck markings I put a flat coat on, this time a couple of mist coats, and one wetter, but not heavy coat.

Hope that helps

Si
johnmallam
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 98 posts
Model Shipwrights: 61 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 09:35 PM UTC
Thank you both very helpful will get some varnish and give it a go cheers nohn
 _GOTOTOP