_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
ICM Type II B
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 09:07 PM UTC
Back to building (and correcting) this model. I got a copy of 3D drawings by Goralski, from Kagero Publishing, and discovered a major error, if Goralski is corrrect. The conning tower on this particular model has an additional 2 cm Flak platform (Wintergarten). ICM has it stepped down from the tower deck by about 2 mm, when the Goralski drawings have it flush with the tower deck. So, after cutting and combining parts from two conning towers to get the right shape, I then had to cut off the gun platform support and replace it with a new one. Just adding plastic to make it higher isn't so easy, as the shape and taper of the support changes as it is higher. I used a 1/35 Sherman tank roadwheel and filled it with epoxy putty to make it solid, then cut, filed, and sanded it to make the new platform support.

It still needs a bit of tweaking and fine sanding. It may not be 100% accurate, but at least I got the gun platform where it should be. The apparent blank space between conning tower and platform isn't really empty - it's filled with a small piece of white styrene sheet.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:38 AM UTC
Well done reworking the CT Biggs! Nice bid with the road wheel!!
 _GOTOTOP