_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Support Vessels
Non-combat support vessels of any type and post-sail.
Hosted by Harry
Fast Attack Destoryers question
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hoping that some one here can point me in the right direction. I have Revells old kit that represents the H.M.S. Campbelltown in 1:240 scale and would like to refit it to that class of Fast Attack Desroyers. I have searched the web but so far have not been able to find any good pictures of this refit. I know that the first and second stacks were removed and apparently the space below was turned into bunk and storage for the Marines but have no info as to where the Higgins boat and davits were placed. Does any one here know the location or even better some pictorial refferance on this. Thanks in advance to all who take the time to check out my question, Bob Davis
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 06:19 AM UTC
You want to look for the ships designated APD and numbered 1 through 36. The higher numbered APDs were built off of another class of ship. Details on the APDs themselves varied here and there given the differences in the originals as well as the different styles that each Navy Yard did things. USS Ward is my favorite of these ships and there's a decent shot of the davits on her Navsource page.

I don't know of any free plans online, but Maryland Silver has a set of Booklet of General Plans drawings for multiple APDs from the National Archives available.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 06:47 AM UTC
Thank you Tracy. Will check these out in the morning. I know the first varied as they were outfited at various ship yards on the west coast and were needed in a hurry.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 04:20 AM UTC
The problem I am having is that my research shows that the Campbelltown was formaly a wicks class destroyer and was the Buchanan #131, but according to Navsorce ship #131 was the Walter X Young. So far on navsource, there is no listing of the Buchanan anywhere to be found. Now from what Iv'e seen so far is the the Revell kits for the Ward and the Campbelltown (formally the Buchanan) are the same. I forgot what style the first conversons were but the second conversions were of the Wicks style. So now it gets more confusing as to the type of ship the Ward or Campbelltown are as they are both flush deckers from what I see on navsorce and other photos. The pics on the navsorce show the Wards davit very clearly and from what I can see looks just like the modeled Campbelltown. So did Revell mess up and just use the modeling of the Ward to represent 2 different ships with just a new decals set which has happened before? Any way, the pics of the Ward match up so far as I can see, so I"ll go with that set up, unless something else comes up different in the mean time. As I was clicking off the Navsorce pages I spotted that the Ward was a Wicks class destroyer, man can this get confussing at times. Now I know that I am on the right track. That pic of the Ward was really what I needed any way so I appriciate the link and help.
 _GOTOTOP