_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Which PE to buy?
DennisinSedona
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 12:18 AM UTC
I'm working on the 1/225 USS Oregon (Glencoe) and have the 1/232 USS Olympia (Revell) next in line. PE sets for these are offered for both by Gold Medal Models and Tom's Modelworks. GMM puts both ships in one set (for 2x $$). This will be the first time I've used PE on a plastic model and since they're not cheap, I'd prefer not to learn the hard way which maker offers the best value. Any suggestions will be welcome.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 02:03 AM UTC
Hi Dennis,
I don't know about the Oregon, but I did a Revell Olympia a couple of years ago. Here's what I found in railing that kit:

Despite its age and oddball scale of 1/232, there are actually three different photoetch part sets designed specifically for the Revell Olympia model: Gold Medal Models set No. 240-4, Tom’s Modelworks set No. 240-01, and the brass photoetch sheets which come with the Squadron/Encore Models re-release. Any of these would make a huge improvement to the basic kit, but each has its weaknesses, too. Since I had all three sets on hand, I used parts from each for different areas of the build.

The most delicate and detailed of the offerings is the newest, the Squadron/Encore brass, which comes with their 2012 kit re-release. It is also the most comprehensive with many details not found in the others. This state of the art set is absolutely amazing, with incredible details like lightening holes on the steps of the stairs and chain railing with individual relief-etched links! Although it has its shortcomings, this set is definitely the finest overall.

Tom’s Modelworks Olympia detail parts are also very fine, although not quite as petite as the newer Squadron/Encore offering. Also, unlike the other sets, these parts are simple flat two-dimensional renderings without any relief etching. On the plus side, Tom’s has a few details absent from the Squadron/Encore and GMM sets such as support frames for the davit-mounted boats and some really cool wheel parts for the ship’s helm:

The Gold Medal Models set (which also contains parts to outfit Glencoe’s USS Oregon) is the least delicate and least comprehensive of the three. However, it has items not present in the others such as deck edge chocks, rigging blocks, eyebolts, and yardarm details. Also, it is the only one of the three which correctly provides railing to cover both the inner and outer sides of the superstructure edge catwalks. Tom’s Modelworks and Squadron/Encore evidently used the museum ship as reference, which today has only the outer rails in place, but photos show that the ship had both inner and outer rails when in service. In addition, the heftier GMM rails actually harmonize better with the heavy detail of the old Revell plastic kit parts and the pleasing but exaggerated plank effects on the Squadron/Encore wood deck.

If you are only going to buy only one set, I guess I'd recommend the Gold Medal Models brass. Good luck with it!
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 461 posts
Model Shipwrights: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 03:58 AM UTC
I followed Tim Reynaga's build log on the Olympia and got the bug. I guess I lucked out that I did not have the Olympia in my stash. I ended up buying the Encore Models release that included photoetch, resin parts and wood deck veneers. This was a good intro for me using all those media in one build. I have not yet completed my build but this is how far I got.

I wish Encore sold their photoetch separately. I thought they did a great job. Just take a look at this part!

If I didn't buy this kit, I would go with Tim Reynaga's recommendation. He made such a beautiful Olympia!

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 04:37 AM UTC
That's one great looking pre-dreadnought! Is there any other AM parts available, like brass barrels, replacement secondary armaments, etc., etc.?
DennisinSedona
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dennis,

If you are only going to buy only one set, I guess I'd recommend the Gold Medal Models brass. Good luck with it!

Great comments, Tim. I've studied your build of Olympia and was humbled. I wanted the Encore kit but by the time I got around to it, Squadron was sold out and the price had more than doubled at other sources that had it. So I picked up the Revell kit on ebay. Since this is going to be my first PE, I'll gladly go for the GMM two-ship set being its not as extensive as others and the heavier gauge goes better with the large scale.

It would help if the PE makers listed the components and showed a fw close-up detail photos.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 06:56 AM UTC
Joseph and Dennis, thanks for your kind comments.

And Joseph, I very much like your "war gray" Olympia - such a departure from the typical white-and-buff livery in which she is usually modeled!

LCB248
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 - 05:47 AM UTC
Some of the PE companies have PDF's of their instruction sheets on their websites. I check out Eduard's all the time when deciding whether or not to invest in PE.

LCB
 _GOTOTOP