These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
Thick water for submarine base?
bluenosers352nd
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:59 PM UTC
I have the 1/700 USS Los Angeles built up. Want to do a small submerged (periscope depth) dio. Any one have any recommendations for a product to product the clear? I did some testing with Castin Craft Clear that Hobby Lobby sells. Works fine except getting the form released from around it. I would like to pour (over a couple different pours) something probably 1" +/- thick, tinted blue. Then remove the forms so you can see through.

Any suggestions? Maybe all I need is a mold release agent of some sort........but what?

Thanks!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

You can make a mold box with .30 styrene sheet. Smear the inside of
the box with a very light coat of Vaseline or PAM cooking oil. This
will ensure the release of the cast block containing your submarine.

Cheers,
Joe
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:11 PM UTC
I've seen some examples where you don't have to use any resins at all. You will need a clear case - for 1/700 you could find a styrene car kit display case, or a plexiglass case, and a sheet of tinted ripply styrene. You could do that yourself with clear sheet and artists clear acrylic gel. Tint it and the insides of the case your choice of green or blue - but not too dark! The separate piece of styrene sheet will be the "water" surface. Suspend your model from the surface with thin wire, or sit your model on thin wire from underneath. Use stiff wire like brass or stainless steel.
 _GOTOTOP