_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Civilian Ships & Boats
Covers all non-sail civilian ships, craft, and boats.
1/20 Chris Craft Constellation
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 333 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 03:12 PM UTC
Hi, I have a few questions regarding the Lindberg kit. I have nearly finished building/painting the model and I only have to add some smaller parts and details.The main problem is that there seems to be preciously little info on the net and clear reference photos of the 1/1 vessel are scarce (perhaps none have survived). As to the specific type of the original boat this is all I could find :

"The Lindberg Chris Craft Constellation is a model of a 1956-54’ Constellation. Hull number series was X-54-101 to X-54-138 with 38 hulls built. Power was either (2x) WEBR Chris Craft gas motors, (2x) GM diesels 6A, or (3) GM diesels 6A. She carried 400 gallons of fuel and 150 gallons of fresh water. Total weight of the boat was 26900-29450lbs. The hull color from the factory was black."

I wonder what the two chrome finished grates (parts 62) on the aft deck were meant for (drainage perhaps)and I also wonder how these are supposed to be fitted. Thing is I'm not even sure which side should be facing up. The davits are also puzzling, I think there should be a winch on top of each. I finally wonder about the seating arrangement, especially the steering seat. Personnaly I think a pivoting steering seat would be most logical. Some pics of the maiden voyage (last Sunday) :

By the way, I installed bigger motors, 4 mm propshafts and 3-blade- 3 cm props. It's probably the most suitable plastic boat kit available for rc conversion (easy access, it can take quite a lot of weight and there are few small vulnerable plastic parts).

Regards,

Arjan

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 03:41 PM UTC
Fine job so far Arjan! Nice to see she's sea worthy! I am not too familiar with the kit myself, however, I did see numerous builds and pic online with a quick google search. I would think you are pretty darn close with 1956. Also, I found a short video someone made of their build and gave a decent bench-view walk around.

https://youtu.be/eR7x46vLhmk

Best of luck getting those finishing touches done!
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 04:46 PM UTC
Thanks Todd, in the mean time I have found some useful pics of the "Sea Goddess". There is also a pic showing a similar drainage grate. Any further info on the davits and alternative steering seat arrangement would be appreciated though.

https://moreboats.com/boats/chris-craft/constellation-54/46025

Regards,

Arjan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 05:03 PM UTC
Wow...nice price tag on the boat!! LOL!! A decent set of walk around shots!

As for the davits...not sure if it helps any, in that video, about halfway through or so, the builder panned the camera across the stern and gave a good look at what was there. Might help give you a little direction. Judging from the lack of pictures, it does appear to be an option folks just did not spring for...or removed themselves.

Another nice walk around here too... http://placeaboat.com/ad/1960-chris-craft-constellation-great-condition
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:11 PM UTC
Arjan,

Wonderful model! Chris Craft made beautiful boats. Your's keeps with that tradition of the briny blue.

I have no information for you although, I too, appreciate that you have her running. Now I want one!
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:18 PM UTC
Thanks again Todd, you may well be right about the davits not being terribly popular. I wonder if Lindberg's other big scale boat, the 1/16 Chris Craft Sport Fisherman, will ever be released again. It has been at the top of my wishlist for quite some years now but I've heard rumors that the original molds were lost .... Perhaps someone can tell me more about this ? A retailer claims it will be released again this year, and I saw an image of what appears to be new boxart. Fact is that these Fisherman kits/models sell for crazy money on ebay. Personally I think $350 is a bit too much for a simple, not terribly good kit with a vac-formed hull.

Regards,

Arjan
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:39 PM UTC
That's the tough thing about older kits, not always a chance of re-issue unless there was some sort of overwhelming draw for it. Which I could suppose might be within the RC community.

The price gouging is always an issue. I see this with old car kits at some shows I attend. 1950's and 60's kits get a huge $100 to $300 ticket price. I would have to really be a diehard collector or someone who has an overwhelming need to connect with my past to pay that price when I can buy a new car kit for about $25 and the details can't even be compared. I seen where a company in the US offers the Fisherman kit for around $180 US, however, it is mute due to the fact the kit is out of stock and no possibility of coming back to the shelves anytime soon.

Until they decide to ind the mold, looks like you're back to hoping to find someone getting rid of the kit at a yard sale or swap meet.
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Until they decide to ind the mold, looks like you're back to hoping to find someone getting rid of the kit at a yard sale or swap meet.

I'm afraid you are right, the additional problem is that very few, if any, of these kits ended up in Europe. In practice this means I have to focus on US ebay sellers and I have to be prepared to pay some $100 (import taxes and shipping) more than the regular US ebay buyer . Still, if anyone knows where I can find one please let me know. After all, I think I do have an overwhelming need to connect with my past as you put it so aptly

Regards,

Arjan
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 02:16 AM UTC
My Constellation model is nearly finished, I just have to address some imperfections that show up in the photos I made (always a useful aspect of taking pics of one's models). I used some 1/24 American Diorama figures, these are slightly bigger than the 1/24 Motorhead ones which ,unfortunately, looked a bit too small for my model. I increased the height of the rear bench by 3 mm to accommodate the figures and also because the original height didn't look right. I also constructed two pivoting front seats which I think look more convincing than the original Lindberg set up. Finally I added winches to the davits. Unfortunately the pics are not great (overexposed).

Arjan
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 01:15 AM UTC
Some action photos of my model made by a club member last Sunday.

Arjan
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 01:32 AM UTC
Arjan,

What an amazing model! I am tempted to seek one out yet the chat about price will probably keep it from my stash.

awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi, as far as I know the Constellation kit has been in production until quite recently. So I assume there are still quite a few around. Some shops still sell them around $170 I think, which isn't too bad. Last week I managed to get one from Amazon UK at a 70% discount. I didn't really need another one because I'm still restoring an old Constellation model with the red hull and metal parts. Still I couldn't let it pass at 70 pounds including shipping

Regards,

Arjan
Steveinsacto
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 04:56 AM UTC
I just bought one online for $160 from Auto World.
Steveinsacto
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 05:00 AM UTC
This will be the first model I've built since I was a kid. I've restored cars, boats and houses, but this is the first model in a very long time. I bought it because I've always loved that era of Chris Craft and may actually own the real thing one day. In that spirit, I will endeavor to make this model as authentic as possible, right down to the copper bottom paint.
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2018 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hi Steve, I wonder how you are getting on with your Constellation build. I would love to see some pics.

Since the Photobucket pics I posted have vanished here are some once more :

I will take my model out for a cruise on the water tomorrow (her first outing of the season ).

Regards,

Arjan

awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 12:54 PM UTC
Some pics of yesterday's outing :

One of my other boats (Aeronaut kit) :

Arjan
 _GOTOTOP