_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Blast bags?
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 02:28 PM UTC
I have install the long iron in the turrets for HMS NZ. In the late war years the turrets had blast bags for the guns. I am looking for recommendations on what to use to create them or a pointer where someone has made them previously in a build.

There is not a lot of space to work with in the turret itself. Any thoughts?

cheers
Michael
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Model Shipwrights: 249 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 02:59 PM UTC
I have done them with millput before.

I've seen recommendations for white glue and toilet paper.

Milliput will adhere to metal tools while you're using it...so maybe you'll have some benefit there.

Best Wishes,

Gaz
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 03:07 PM UTC
The forward barrels were plastic, while these aft ones were brass.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 12:00 PM UTC
Thanks Gary,
I have heard of Milliput before but not seen it for sale here. I have used Tamiya putty to fill before but it's not easy to shape for this purpose.

Cool looking water effects on the diorama as well

cheers
Michael
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 12:17 PM UTC
Hi Michael.
Milliput is a two-part slow drying putty. You can use water while shaping, carving, or drawing it out. it has something like an hour working time.
Unlike solvent putties, it doesn't get a skin on it and then punish you for touching it. I've used it for zimmerit paste with great results.
It's only down point is that it's granular...though there are different grades regarding that. It's a bit more firm than clay while you're working it. It's the only putty I can think of that you could shape into a column, stand it on one end, and then find it standing proud the next morning, in the same shape it was when you left. No shrink.
You can probably order it from over here if you can't find it there. I can't imagine there is any reason for it not to sell there in NZ.

Thanks for the compliment! That was my first attempt at water. Just wish I coulda got the bow wave tight.

Cheers,

Gaz
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:42 PM UTC
Michael -

Try the Tamiya 2 part epoxy putty. Very different from their regular putty. I always had problems with Milliput - great when new but it always kept drying out one me. Maybe I wasn't storing it properly.

HTH
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 11:19 AM UTC
I've had the Milliput harden over time. The stuff definitely has a certain shelf-life. I got about a year from my first box. And there's no way of knowing how long it sat on the shelf before that.

Didn't even know Tamiya made a two-part epoxy! I bought some Selley's two-part stuff, but it didn't stick to the styrene very well.
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 02:54 PM UTC
Thanks guys,
I didn't know Tamiya did a two part epoxy either. I will have look this weekend. It may stick to resin better. I used two part epoxy glue to cement the 2 piece resin hull since its stronger than CA.

cheers
Michael
GrantGoodale
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 06:27 PM UTC
I am lucky living in the Toronto area - we have a very good selection of excellent hobby stores. That is where I picked up mine along with the new white Tamiya masking tape.

Here is the stuff on a Japanese web site:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10205973

HTH
 _GOTOTOP