_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Question
Deranius
Visit this Community
Novi Sad, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2016 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hello everyone,
My name is Rade and I have a question. I am in the process of assembling "R" class battleship Royal Sovereign kit from Ark models in 1/500. The octuple 2-pdr AA guns on the sides of the funnel are very poor and I am looking for a substitute, as well as some additional AA guns that were placed around the ship. So I was wondering since there is no dedicated PE set for this ship in particular, what can be used instead? I mean, since there is a lack of the PE sets in that scale as well, does any of you have any suggestions on the close enough scale as well (i.e. 1/400, 1/600, 1/450 - which is also hard to come by)?
Thank you,
Best regards,
Rade
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2016 - 01:31 PM UTC
Hi Rade,

Gold Medal Models did produce a 1/500th Naval ship set, which would give you railings and ladders, most of the rest of the kit on that is designed for Modern US Warships.

Tom's Modelworks also has 1/500th railings, watertight doors, from memory I think US / Japanese, but they would be likely be an improvement on the moulded detail and even some 20mm.

WEM - The only options are 1/600th The Rodney / Neslson set is the only one with POM POMs

Might be worth contacting the 3D printing guys like Model Monkey etc. there may be more demand than you think.

Others on here will know more than me, but I hope that helps.

Cheers

Si
 _GOTOTOP