_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
REVIEW
Hydrofoil USS Tucumcari
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:52 AM UTC
TUCUMCARI Class Patrol Gunboat (Hydrofoil) from AURORA is a 1/84 model of this unique warship.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 12:07 AM UTC
Thanks for posting this!

Like you, I just learned about the actual craft myself from the History Channel and never knew it was real, let alone AURORA had it in a kit.

Those were the days.

Jeff
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 09:38 AM UTC
This brings back a lot of memories, she was built here in Tacoma WA in the late 60s, and outfitted and tested at the Boeing facility in Seattle. I got the opportunity to watch her one afternnoon, I think about 1968 or 69 maybe even later in 70 while she was running acceptance testing here on Puget Sound. She was really fast-- and very futuristic looking-- but every bit looking the part of fast patrol boat-- when she lifted off the water on the hydrofoils, it was really something to see. I think she went from here to San Diego, then on tour, but was lost in Peurto Rico in an exercise as I recall. I Think Grumman had a competing design.
VR Russ
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 - 07:52 PM UTC
I agree - thanks, Frederick, for posting this! I like the idea of doing reviews of older (dare I say, Classic?) kits as well as the new stuff. I've never seen this model "in the flesh", but your pictures and text now have me trolling the auction sites trying to find one...
TEEKAY1
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 11:15 PM UTC
I recently purchased an Aurora PGH-2 Tucumcari at an estate sale that was missing the kit instructions. I found your review of the kit and was wondering if you could provide me with a copy of the instructions. I will gladly reimburse you for your time and postage. Thank you.
Rickbaca
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 03:22 AM UTC
I have 2 kits by aurora 1 box has Boy scouts of America on it but to be honest the main wet deck is warped I have had my hands on quite a few of these kits and they are all the same FYI they have not been built
Rickbaca
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 03:42 AM UTC
I have 2 kits one box has the Boy scouts of America on it i have had my hands on quite a few of them and all of them had issues with the main wet deck (warped) mine are not built hope your main deck is better than the ones I have seen
 _GOTOTOP