_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS Arizona
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 08:34 AM UTC
I have been looking at a new ship get after I finish my fletcher, and I noticed that the Arizonas are all a lot cheaper than the other battleships. Is it becuase they are a lot smaller or are there just no high quality injection molded kits out there?
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 10:34 AM UTC
If the Arizona were to be done by Tamiya it would cost a little more and be a little better engineered. The banner/Trumpeter/Mini Hobby kit is fairly well done . I have one I'm fiddlin' around with. It is certainly smaller than any of the Tamiya BB's. There's an online build currently at Roll Models website.

http://www.rollmodels.net/nworkbench/onlinebuild/arizona/arizona1.php
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 10:44 AM UTC
Modelguy2 is certainly correct if you are talking 1/350. If you would care to try 1/700, the Dragon/DML Arizona (special edition) is a beauty of a kit. Comes with PE, Brass barrels, chainlink anchors, and has been called the most accurate USS Arizona in 1/700 scale. All for under $25.00 retail. I think you can find them for under $20.00 if you try. I am really impressed with mine.

Mike
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 11:41 AM UTC
I've made the 1/350 Arizona, mine was boxed by Banner but I understand it's also boxed as by Trumpeter and Mini-Hobbies. I liked it, as it was my first ship in a long time, but it's not an easy build. The fighting tops are hard to get level and plumb. To do it right you really need the PE set and I'm cheap so I didn't pop for that. The great thing is there is so much info on the web on the model and the real ship that you'll have plenty of reverence if you need it.

If you want to see how NOT to do her I've got pictures of my model in my gallery.

_GOTOTOP