_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Aftermarket RN 4" gun?
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 06:33 AM UTC
Does anybody know of an aftermarket supplier of a QF 4" Mk V naval gun in 1/350? I am after one for HMS New Zealand. This is a single gun unit used in WW1 and up and into WW2. Plenty of providers for the later twin 4" guns but in my searches I haven't uncovered a single.

cheers
Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,835 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,832 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

sorry, the typical 'no answer to your question, but...' reply

As for the single QF 4" Mk V it is pretty tough, Master does offer barrels, though. I needed some for my HMS Repulse and did them basically from some scratch parts, it's on the build log, I will see if I find some pictures for you later.

But - you were talking about plenty providers for the later twin 4" guns - WEM provided some very nice stuff for the HA mountings on the Belfast, but for my Hood, seven 4" HA Mk XIX mountings required, I am a little lost - I do have the barrels, but the aftermarket sets - though pretty comprehensive - don't offer stuff to the breeches etc. And on Hood those guns are standing in pretty clear sight. Could you point me to one of those providers?

Thanks,
Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 03:42 PM UTC
Hi Jan,

North star do some twin 4" Mk XVI's in MK XIX mount, it looks really nice, resin shield and breeches, brass barrels and some etch.

I might have purchased a set for my HMS Warspite,

Cheers

Si
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jan,

North star do some twin 4" Mk XVI's in MK XIX mount, it looks really nice, resin shield and breeches, brass barrels and some etch.

I might have purchased a set for my HMS Warspite,

Cheers

Si

You might have?!? - out of stock, of course...

But the Vickers quad with barrels down were available. As were portholes, and RN searchlights. And I put myself on the waiting list for about a bazillion things - RN bridge equipment, 4" Mk XVI twins, Vickers quads with barrels high, well Wait and see!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 11:48 PM UTC
Alright Jan I did order one set.

Hope you are lucky and they restock soon.

Cheers

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael,

sorry, the typical 'no answer to your question, but...' reply

As for the single QF 4" Mk V it is pretty tough, Master does offer barrels, though. I needed some for my HMS Repulse and did them basically from some scratch parts, it's on the build log, I will see if I find some pictures for you later.

But - you were talking about plenty providers for the later twin 4" guns - WEM provided some very nice stuff for the HA mountings on the Belfast, but for my Hood, seven 4" HA Mk XIX mountings required, I am a little lost - I do have the barrels, but the aftermarket sets - though pretty comprehensive - don't offer stuff to the breeches etc. And on Hood those guns are standing in pretty clear sight. Could you point me to one of those providers?

Thanks,
Jan

Thanks Jan,
I remember your Repulse ones as I copied them for Achilles but I need just one but with protection.
I think Si answered the question about the twin 4" from NorthStar. The "many" was exaggeration for effect at the lack of singles. I also contributed to the current shortage by ordering some along with quad 50 cals barrels up and the bridge equipment all from Northstar, none of which you may want to hear. I ordered mine for some future build of Hood (maybe 100th anniversary of her launch at my build speed).
But if the twin 4" are important for your current build of Hood I am happy to pass them along. (it's only a set of four) I won't be needing them for a long while so let me know.

cheers
Michael
JJ1973
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

that's very, very kind of you! You are a true gentlemen!!
For now - and you know my pace from earlier builds - I can postpone the 4" (actually, they weren't high up at the priority list yet) and just continue. Comes winter and NortStar still has not re-stocked, than I might ask you

Thanks again for your kind offer!

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP