_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Rigging Period Ship Models
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 08:40 PM UTC
Todd Michalak shares his review of one of Pen and Sword Books latest releases; Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 12:59 PM UTC
Just by looking at the photos in the review, this appears to be a very intense book - and can go a long way in explaining what and where all the rigging is about!

It would be helpful, though, if this book gave some tips on how to scale down all that rigging...you could put some seizings on some of those backstays, but if the size of the model is small, doing all that intricate work would be difficult, as well as perhaps wasteful.

I guess my next book will discuss how to scale down all this stuff!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 03:51 PM UTC
Thanks Timothy! I know the focus was showing the numerous rigs involved and the book hits the mark for detailing them all out better than most instructions...but I have to agree, a simple sizing chart might be a perfect addition to the book. Chuck Passaro, over at the Syren Ship Model Company,has a handy sizing chart right on the site you can download. Also a serving machine at a reasonable price that can handles serving any size rigging (planning on buying one of this real soon myself)
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 - 05:53 AM UTC
After learning that I was building the USS Constitution, my daughter gave me this book as a gift to help with my building skills. It is indeed a well thought out and illustrated book to help one along in their modeling.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 - 04:18 PM UTC
Hi RO,

Out of curiosity, who's the manufacturer of your Constitution, and what scale is it?
 _GOTOTOP