_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
HMS Rodney 1942 Question
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:38 AM UTC
Hello Everyone.

I have a quick question about HMS Rodney that I hope someone will have the references available to answer. I just ordered the 1/200 Trumpeter kit and was looking at the Mk1 Design and Pontos Detail Sets for it and noticed that one had a Pom pom director on a platform just behind the bridge area, and the other had one of the 4 barrel heavy machine guns there. Just wondering which is correct for 1942?

Cheers
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 01:36 PM UTC
Hi Warren,

According to Raven & Roberts the quad 0.5" were removed in May 1942 and replaced with the pompom directors, there were other modifications at that time too. (three pompom directors added aft, changes to the radar fit and the addition of 17 single 20mm. Will have to look into the MK1 set, am working on the research to backdate the ship to May '41 fit.

Cheers

Si.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 02:25 PM UTC
So you will be wanting the Mk1 Set then as the Pontos set has the directors there instead.. I think that may be the more correct for the one I want to build so I will get the Pontos set. A little more but has lots more scribed brass.

Oh by the way, thank you immensely for that little pot of paint you sent me. How much do I owe you for it?

Cheers Mr Duster
Warren
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 11:56 PM UTC
Looks like the Mk1 set for me then,

Glad you got the paint ok, will PM you the cost, if you insist. Otherwise if you ever get to the UK a couple of pints would be preferable.

Cheers

Si
 _GOTOTOP