_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
USS Fletcher PE railings
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Model Shipwrights: 124 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 05:46 PM UTC
Hello, I'm hoping some of the experts here can point me in the right direction. I'm not normally a ship builder but couldn't resist a recent bargain of the Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher for €20. I can just about manage that scale but not interested in all the different PE upgrade sets which would cost twice as much as the kit. But are there generic sets of railings which I could use? And if anyone can provide an idiots guide to attaching railings in that scale it would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Sean
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 154 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 06:35 PM UTC
Hi Sean.

I checked out your Fletcher build, it is looking good so far! I normally build aircraft and cars, but I'm having a similar change of pace HERE with a set of 1/350 Dragon Gearing Class destroyers. I am a certified ship noob, so I went down the path of sourcing a basic set of rails from Eduard.
There is an Eduard set for the Fletcher class (the part number is ED-53003), and a set from Tom's Modelworks (TOM-3508), and both contain a few extra PE options as well as railings.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your build. I will be following for sure.

Cheers, D

Edit: I a asking a lot of "beginner" questions in my thread, and making a lot of "beginner" mistakes, so it might be worth your while to have a read through. Hopefully it will help.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Model Shipwrights: 124 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 10:12 PM UTC
Thanks Damien. I'll take some time to go through your thread in detail but at first glance it does look nice! The Gearing class is also a lovely looking ship. There's something about destroyers that appeals to me
 _GOTOTOP